Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2008, 08:46 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default One more Miquelete

Before i withdraw with shame at seeing the magnificent pieces that have been shown in this Forum, let me show some more of my "junk".
This time a hunting musket, probably end XVIII century, with a Miquelete lock, converted from flint to percussion, probably around 1830, as happened to many thousands of flintlock pieces.
The name PEREZ on the lock, basically that of the lock (only) maker, doesn't come listed in any sources i have consulted.
The marks on the barrel may well be only a fantasy, a procedure usually taken in those days, to give the piece some added value appearance.
One thing i have no doubt; this weapon saw a hell of a lot of action.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
celtan

Thanks for the nice words. Mine are not exactly magnificent, but they all sure have seen a lot of History.

This Miiguelete is very interesting!

Specially the work done to repair the shoulder stock, including all the reinforcements and the metal finger guard. Wow! Very imaginative.

Best

M
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 04:27 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Before i withdraw with shame at seeing the magnificent pieces that have been shown in this Forum, let me show some more of my "junk".
This time a hunting musket, probably end XVIII century, with a Miquelete lock, converted from flint to percussion, probably around 1830, as happened to many thousands of flintlock pieces.
The name PEREZ on the lock, basically that of the lock (only) maker, doesn't come listed in any sources i have consulted.
The marks on the barrel may well be only a fantasy, a procedure usually taken in those days, to give the piece some added value appearance.
One thing i have no doubt; this weapon saw a hell of a lot of action.
Fernando
Shame on you Fernando!! Your pieces are CERTAINLY NOT JUNK. Just remember that these things are OLD and have a history. Of course there will be some wear and tear caused by age. There would be, I suspect relatively few pristine pieces, of any type of old weapon in existance,(except maybe in musuems), compared with those that show age. No doubt we all sometimes are lucky enough to pick up a piece which is "newish" but more often than not, it is not the case.
From the pieces of yours which have appeared on the Forum, your collection is not to be ashamed of!!
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote