Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Badek or Pedang Lurus

For conversation and I am sure debate, where does on draw the line between a Badek and a Pedang Lurus?

To me, typically a Badek is rarely seen over 30cms.

A Pedang Lurus based on Zonneveld's survey, seem to range from the high 40's to 75cms.

This piece attached below shares the form of a Pedang Lurus, being decorated in silver, both to the hilt and scabbard, has an almost straight blade that tapers to a point that is double edged on the last 115mm, the hilt is "round like" and slightly curved and the slightly broadened cross section at the hilt has an exact fit to the scabbard.

Figure 402 in Zonneveld's work, page 103 seems very similar.

Whilst the above description answers my questions, casual conversation with others has noted it as most likely being a Badek.

The piece is just under 48cms in the sheath and is 45cms out with a 30cms blade from the edge of the cup guard. The blade has beautiful pamor and is razor sharp to the cutting edges with a dangerous feel of seration due to the pamor.

I would like to know what the greater collection community does call this and where they would draw the line between the two.

Open for comments and interperation guys.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
For conversation and I am sure debate, where does on draw the line between a Badek and a Pedang Lurus?
Hi Gav, I don't know exactly were to draw the line, but I think it has more to do with the shape, as with the length.
I think this handle is typical a badek, so I would call it a badek!
(I also have seen badeks with complete silver scabbards, though normally decorated with nice motifs).

Just my thoughts though!

Best,
Maurice
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks

Thanks Maurice,

Despite the piece fully matching Zonneveld's description of a Pedang Lurus it does have a knife feel to it rather than a sword feel, thus there lays the confusions...I look forward to further input.

Gav
Closed Thread