Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 6th October 2016, 05:07 PM   #1
taube

Default Keris / Bali or Lombok

Gentlemen,

here is a Keris that I got a while ago.
I was told it is from Bali or Lombok.
The hilt is pleasantly simple.
Can someone add to the above description?
Maybe put in a date range?
There seem to be some ribbons missing around the sheeth.
What would it have to look like if it were complete?

Many questions from a learner.

Thanks in advance for any input,
taube.
Attached Images

taube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Jean

A good and old kris blade from Bali or Lombok, congratulations! The cylindrical hilt is in locengan style with plaited horse or human hair (?), and the scabbard is in rustic sandang walikat style but not specific from the region.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 07:14 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

With Bali and Lombok it is often very difficult to tell since Bali ruled Lombok for a bit of time. The missing "ribbons" on the sheath stem were most probably a simple rattan weave. As Jean has pointed out, the walikat style sheath is somewhat rustic and i have never see that little belt stop on the top part on a keris sheath before.
The blade is certainly antique, but i am not particularly good at pinpointed such things. Always very difficult with keris considering that styles are repeated again and again many years after the time they originally appeared. I think it would be fair to say that yours appears to be at least from the first half of the 19th century though it may indeed be older.
I would say the horse hair is more likely than human in these hilts. I have been told that this style of hilt was often employed by warriors as these hilts provide a good grip. But that might be nonsense for all i know.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 08:11 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I have no disagreement with the above comments.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 09:33 PM   #5
Bob A

I have a keris with that style of hilt; it's the only one I have that actually feels like a weapon, in hand. The hilt combined with the blade and the overall balance leaves little doubt in my mind.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 08:18 AM   #6
taube

Thanks everybody!
Happy to read it is a truely historical and maybe even utility item.

@Bob: Would you mind showing your Keris with the similar hilt?

Best.
taube.
Old 7th October 2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I have been told that this style of hilt was often employed by warriors as these hilts provide a good grip. But that might be nonsense for all i know.
Hello David,
According to Djelenga who was a respected kris collector & book author from Lombok, these hilts were used by young people, especially priests and nobles. The warriors apparently used the large cekah solas hilts (see pic) which makes sense as the grip is excellent.
And at the request from Taube I attach the pic of one of my krisses with a similar hilt.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 12:04 PM   #8
GIO

Agree with what other friends have said. A very nice keris ! As to the origin, I would suggest most likely Lombok, but may be wrong. The ring (uwer) between hilt and ganja is missing. It is easy to find a recently made substitute, but this keris deserves something better: an old uwer. This is not so easy to find, but not impossible. Take your time and follow auction sites.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 01:44 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello David,
According to Djelenga who was a respected kris collector & book author from Lombok, these hilts were used by young people, especially priests and nobles. The warriors apparently used the large cekah solas hilts (see pic) which makes sense as the grip is excellent.
I have also heard that the cekah solas hilts were favored by warriors, but heard that same for these hair-wrapped hilts as well. Not a lot has been written on such matters beyond Djelenga. While i don't dismiss his opinion this hilt style seems an odd one for nobles.
Old 8th October 2016, 07:08 AM   #10
taube

Thanks again, gentlemen.
The similar hilt shown is very interesting.
The uwer looks to be all metal, without gems?
What kind of uwer would be appropriate for my keris?

Have a nice weekend,
taube.
Old 8th October 2016, 08:21 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Taube, I have seen many more older Balinese keris, especially relatively simple old keris, without uwer than I have seen with uwer, as for "gems" are these really requisite in a very simple Sudra keris such as this one?

I rather think not.

I would be inclined to leave this keris exactly as it is.

Yeah, I know I'm swimming against the tide, but sometimes bling is just simply out of place.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 05:02 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

I am inclined to agree with Alan here. Too much bling ("gems") would certainly seem out of place to me. A simple silver uwer might be more appropriate, though does not really seem necessary for this piece. If you were to decide to place one on this keris i also don't think seeking out a much more expensive antique uwer makes any difference. What you certainly don't want is something that looks cheaply made as some of the new ones on the market do, but many new users are well crafted and look just fine.
Old 9th October 2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Rafngard

Here's mine with a similar Loncengan ukiran.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20845
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 09:52 PM   #14
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Taube, I have seen many more older Balinese keris, especially relatively simple old keris, without uwer than I have seen with uwer, as for "gems" are these really requisite in a very simple Sudra keris such as this one?

I rather think not.

I would be inclined to leave this keris exactly as it is.

Yeah, I know I'm swimming against the tide, but sometimes bling is just simply out of place.
I fully agree with Alan on this uwer issue !

Ps, the blade appears to have most of its Original finish. just preserve it as it is.

Last edited by asomotif; 9th October 2016 at 10:47 PM.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote