Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2016, 12:43 AM   #1
NotoriousCal

Default How to accept a blade from a person how doesn't know about keris?

Hello group, I hope to find you in good spirits. How do I receive a keris. Is there a ritual or cleansing that has to take place? Also,I read that when buying a keris there should be a haggle freeway to make an offer our to pay whatever the price has been set. My question is. How do you buy keris from eBay or an auction? There supposed to be a way to wedd a keris or to make it your bride.

I'm asking because I want to keep the tradition.
Thank you
NotoriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I really don't understand your title question at all.

As for the other question; you register with ebay as a buyer, make a bid or pay the buy-it-now price and await delivery.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

A lot of us just buy the keris. Now if it is a gift from a family, that might warrant a ceremony. But just buying, that is a common thing not needing any ceremony.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 09:55 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Cal, a keris has many aspects, it is not just one thing, and the aspect of any individual keris can vary, depending upon circumstances.

As Rick and Battara have indicated, once a keris is offered for sale, it becomes an object of trade and no special ceremony or approach is required to accept it from the seller.

However, once it is in your possession your attitude towards it can change that same keris from an object of trade to something else, what the "something else" may be depends upon many things, and here is not the place to try to explain those things.

At the very least when you receive a keris into your possession it is a good idea to ensure that the keris itself is clean, that the hilt is properly fitted, that all of the dress is clean and in good condition.

The blade should be oiled with a fragrant oil, such as sandalwood.

The resting place should be in close proximity to your own resting place, for example, on top of a chest of drawers in your bedroom.

The keris should be handled regularly, you need to become familiar with it and get used to the way it may, or may not, affect your feelings.

If you follow this advice, in time you will become aware of how you need to behave in respect of any keris that is in your care.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 12:48 AM   #5
NotoriousCal

Default Selling keris

This is what I read.

Kerises for "Sale"
A note on the nature of the selling/acquisition of kerises and sacred items: the concept or principle of selling sacred items is not applied in the Javanese tradition. The concept of "dowry" is instead appropriated--or the exchange of hands of a sacred object. They call this "Mas Kawin" or "Mahar." It is understood that there should not be a bargaining of the dowry-price for the object between the one who releases it (the seller) and the interested party (the buyer). If the interested party does not agree on the price he simply leaves the object for another more within his budget and is his "soul-mate," or "jodoh" as it is called (the jodoh-concept actually has a much deeper significance--more related to a person's temperament). Thus, there is no standard price and no question of "over-pricing" or "cheating" on the cost. If a buyer likes the object and interested in acquiring it he would provide for whatever is requested by the releaser--exquisite/powerful kerises can fetch from US$100--$100,000. Kerises are regarded as brides and candidates for becoming the bridegroom have to treat them with respect and value them highly--before and after the "marriage." Most people are unfamiliar with this Javanese custom and thus find it confusing how kerises are priced--some are sold cheaply and are quite antique while some of contemporary production are offered expensively.
Contemporary kerises crafted through traditional methods and magickal processes in comparison with older blades are not to be belittled as many are wont to do, as they will in turn become old through the passage of time and will be intensively sought for by future collectors--the culture of kerises should be preserved and patrons required for their acquisition and preservation. Many of these contmporary kerises are exquisite.
In regards to magickal power, most old kerises have them and contemporary productions may have them as well--all of these are manufactured by "empus"--or "keris-smiths" that are recognized as experts in their field by royalty. These kerises are crafted along traditional spiritual lines utilizing alchemical and magickal principles and application, though modern-productions that forego the magickal/mechanical processes in keris-making can be found in abundance--many of these often appear in auction sites such as ebay. The power of a keris cannot be judged by the "age" or the century it was made, or even by the region it was produced--but by personally sensing its power and feeling a resonation with it--one keris may be powerful to one but not to another--this is basically an aspect of the "jodoh" or "soul-mate" principle. Generally speaking, empus differ from one another in their spiritual and psychic development--the higher they are in their spirituality, the more powerful the kerises they fashion as they are able to invoke and access divine energies and blessings, and have them channeled into their productions.
Powerful empus were found in every region where kerises are adored--the numbers of these artificers have dwindled in modern times. Kerises may be crafted with beauty in mind, others with power--often both of them are taken into consideration. Quite a number of Indonesian authorities on the subject of "kerisology" agree that kerises were mainly crafted for, and regarded as, cultural, magickal, and symbolical items and purposes and not as physical weapons--kerises are often carried, wielded, or kept for their talismanic value only. Nevertheless, it is true that the porous nature of the keris-blade adds an extra advantage when it comes to vanquishing opponents in hand combat--these blades often are soaked in poison (which the pores of the blade absorb) so that a single scratch can weaken the body or even cause a demise of an enemy who is fortunate enough to escape a battle. Traditional methods of cleansing a keris also make use of poisonous substances referred to as "warangan." The purpose of using this substance is for improving the contrast between the pamor and the rest of the blade and also for producing an anti-rust coating.
Keris-collecting is a fruitful and rewarding hobby--as a cultural and often historical item, not only is it an investment that acquires much value as time passes, powers of kerises also benefit their owners in various metaphysical ways that affords and promotes protection, prosperity, harmony, social status, etc. They possess a magickal force/intelligence that is often referred to as "khodam," or "servitor" in ceremonial magick--this could be an actual Nature Spirit or a living thought-form conferred with sentience and elemental-consciousness by the empu--often a keris may contain both types. Kerises also carry the spiritual signature of divine blessings.
Kerises are works of art, and like batik, gamelan music, wayang dances/puppet shows, etc., are a representation of the high sprititual culture and way of life of Javanese Kejawen philosophy whose ultimate goal is to unite Man with his Source, referred to as "Manunggaling Kawula Gusti." Kerises are regarded as symbolic of the microcosm, or Man, with its triune aspects of body, mind and soul--a reflection of the All.
Kerises hold mysteries no matter from what field of perspective we may adopt--mysteries that would disclose themselves through research, study and the daily occult interaction with them.
Most kerises do not come with their original sheaths and hilts (warangka, hulu, etc), these have deteriorated through the passage of time and keris collectors are also fond of changing these and other accessories to suit their taste. Kerises are often regarded as family heirlooms and passed down from generation to generation. They only require a minimum of care by anointing once a year (or more often as required) with certain aromatic oils to prevent rust and corrotion. When hung on walls, stored or displayed, it is preferable that their tips be pointed downwards--this is to allow any moisture or water-particles to flow and concentrate at the bottom of the blade. When well cared for, rust do not form on kerises, however, should they occur, rust may be removed with a commercial rust-remover, though, most collectors prefer using traditionl methods. As given below, the names of the kerises, dapur, pamor , etc., comes from our sources and we have verified them as much as possible through research; we do not, however, claim infallibility in this matter and offer the kerises as they are; likewise keeping in mind that even experts often differ in opinion regarding the analysis of kerises. The cost for shipment by courier is included in the dowry prices. Anyone interested in these sacred items are
Old 26th September 2016, 04:24 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

This text looks and reads like something written by Leonard Lee AKA Luxamore.

My Lee is a well known occultist, but I prefer to reserve any comment on his knowledge of the keris, or of associated matters.

Notwithstanding this, I will say that there is a lot of truth, as well as generally held beliefs, in the text submitted for our edification by Cal. As with any advertising text the truths and beliefs are presented to assist in the digestion of that which might otherwise be indigestible.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 08:35 AM   #7
NotoriousCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This text looks and reads like something written by Leonard Lee AKA Luxamore.

My Lee is a well known occultist, but I prefer to reserve any comment on his knowledge of the keris, or of associated matters.

Notwithstanding this, I will say that there is a lot of truth, as well as generally held beliefs, in the text submitted for our edification by Cal. As with any advertising text the truths and beliefs are presented to assist in the digestion of that which might otherwise be indigestible.
thank you for your comments. I just want to find a good first time keris. I've seen some beautiful keris in the past few days.
Old 26th September 2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Sajen

Hello NotoriousCal,

when I read your posts there come one question to my mind: Are you going to buy a keris or a story? Please don't understand me wrong, I don't want to offend you but maybe you should ask the same question yourself.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 12:57 PM   #9
NotoriousCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello NotoriousCal,

when I read your posts there come one question to my mind: Are you going to buy a keris or a story? Please don't understand me wrong, I don't want to offend you but maybe you should ask the same question yourself.

Regards,
Detlef
you're asking a good question. Lol
Old 26th September 2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Sajen

There are more keris acquirable as you have buyers, the great bulk are keris from low craftmanship to average quality often for fair prices, for a better keris you need to pay more when it's fair offered. But never go to buy a keris for it's unproved story or possible use of meteoric content which is unprovable.

There are different opinions to look at a keris, you need to find your own way and be sure that you will do mistakes. How to care about a keris you have bought depend on in which condition you get it. When you get it in good or very good condition you need to do nothing more as to oil the blade from time to time, others need to be cleaned and others need a restoration.
And when you want to believe about a magic content, a keris you care good will show it you!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote