Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 19th November 2008, 10:35 PM   #31
stekemest

Glad I asked the question here, it's an interesting discussion. Thanks also from my friend, he found a figure, a "Bochio" oder "Bocio" (they seem to be called Bochio in German) from the Fon in Benin. Is it normal that such figures cost several hundreds of euros?

Last edited by stekemest; 19th November 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:42 PM   #32
Bill M

Ben, I think that David is talking about the pure form of Voudon that does not condone the use of "Voodoo Dolls." David is correct, pure Voudon does NOT.

Voudon, in the pure sense is a beautiful nature religion that does not try to harm or exert control over others. They understand this would be self-destructive.

There are certainly offshoots and people who call themselves Voodoo that do carry on harmful procedures, but these are fringe groups that have nothing to do with Voudon.

Same with Wiccans. Another nature religion that has some noisy, nasty outsiders who believe more in the Hollywood movies than in actual disciplined study.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:13 AM   #33
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stekemest
Glad I asked the question here, it's an interesting discussion. Thanks also from my friend, he found a figure, a "Bochio" oder "Bocio" (they seem to be called Bochio in German) from the Fon in Benin. Is it normal that such figures cost several hundreds of euros?
Yes Stekemest, artifacts like bochio and minkisi are often quite expensive.
Bill, i don't believe that it is a matter of "pure" Vodou or not. Vodou is Vodou. It is a religion with rituals and dogma designed to help it's followers cope with and grow strong in the environment in which they live. It is a beautiful and complex religion with a complicated liturgy filled with wonderful songs, rhythms, dances and art. If someone who sticks pins in dolls to cause harm calls themselves Vodoun or a Voodooist it is just a ploy to take advantage of the unfounded fear that has been generated about this religion through decades of misinformation and lies. These people are not accepted by the Vodoun community.
Gentlemen, this has indeed been a very interesting thread. However, since;
a) It really has nothing to do with ethnographic weapons
b) This is the swap forum after all
c) It would seem that Stekemest's friend has made a related purchase
i see no reason to keep this thread open as it is not really relevant to this forum. I believe everyone has had their say. I would strongly recommend the books i mentioned for anyone who is really interested in the subject, not the stereotype and would certainly continue the conversation in PMs if anyone felt the need to do so.
Closed Thread