Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2007, 01:43 PM   #31
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
All of them are appreciated though, treated with respect and oiled and incensed regularly.

David may I ask what incense you burn for the keris? I would be interested to know what others use also. Is there one which is considered traditional for this purpose?
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 07:07 PM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

I try to use sandalwood when i can though i have used others including nag champa. I prefer to use the woodier scents as opposed to sweet fragrances. Ultimately i think it is more about intention than the actual scent and whatever you decide is best for you and your keris will be best for you.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 07:11 AM   #33
pakana

I think that it's more preferable natural scent incense, and that is what I use, not vanilla for example..But as david said, the intention and the positive feeling towards the keris is most important..

It is strange however that in all cultures globaly, the sense of smell is the most important when it comes to spirits.. and to humans of course, since the smell is the sense of "memory"..

George
pakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 12:31 PM   #34
Pusaka

Personally I dont burn Incense for any of my keris. I do oil them though and I dont like using any oil which may contain mineral or petroleum products.

In all cultures the burning of incense and offering of food is used to attract spirits. Actually its not the smell but the vibration which is setup in the local atmosphere that attracts such things. according to what you use you will setup a different vibration. Bad spirits are attracted to blood and the fume it gives off. Some keris have used blood in their preparation and they as a result would harbor bad spirits. Think of it like this, if your garden was full of flowers it will attract bees and butterfly's but if you had a dead animal in your garden the sent would attract flys.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:21 PM   #35
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
Personally I dont burn Incense for any of my keris. I do oil them though and I dont like using any oil which may contain mineral or petroleum products.

In all cultures the burning of incense and offering of food is used to attract spirits. Actually its not the smell but the vibration which is setup in the local atmosphere that attracts such things. according to what you use you will setup a different vibration. Bad spirits are attracted to blood and the fume it gives off. Some keris have used blood in their preparation and they as a result would harbor bad spirits. Think of it like this, if your garden was full of flowers it will attract bees and butterfly's but if you had a dead animal in your garden the sent would attract flys.
I am not too sure how this discussion fits in with keris since AFAIK blood sacrifice is not a common way to honor one's keris. However, since you have seen fit to speak of what "all cultures" do i think you will find that your view that blood will attract only bad spirits is not true to all cultures. It certainly isn't true in African and African diaspora cultures.
And that dead animal in your garden will only fertilize the soil and allow more flowers to grow. It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 31st December 2007, 05:34 PM   #36
Pusaka

I found the following statement athttp://www.cimande.com/writings/keris/keris2.htm

"In Indonesia, it was and is customary to feed such a keris, at least once a week, usually on a Saturday. The feeding can consist of applying a special oil to the blade, which is made from water growing plants and then passing the blade over a special incense, allowing the smoke to encompass the blade. This incense resembles Gum Myrrh and is a resinous tree sap material called Mignon. First to start the operation the keris is asked if it may be opened (usually done if the blade is being used for a noncombat application) by saying a suitable word, such as maaf, which means, may I? If the blade glides open easily it is appropriate to continue the operation. If not then the reason must be found and it is not auspicious to try and force the issue at that time."

I would like to ask members here if they have any information on this keris oil which is made from water growing plants. I have never heard of it personally until I read the above statement.
Old 1st January 2008, 09:19 PM   #37
A. G. Maisey

The very few people whom I have known to engage in using incense on a keris have done this on Thursday evening.

The incense used is menyan (kemenyan), which is from gum benzoin, from the styrax tree.

It is used by placing a small lump on top of coals in a small charcoal brazier made of terracotta.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:55 AM   #38
PenangsangII

Quote:
I am not too sure how this discussion fits in with keris since AFAIK blood sacrifice is not a common way to honor one's keris. However, since you have seen fit to speak of what "all cultures" do i think you will find that your view that blood will attract only bad spirits is not true to all cultures. It certainly isn't true in African and African diaspora cultures.
And that dead animal in your garden will only fertilize the soil and allow more flowers to grow. It's all a matter of perspective.
Bugis keris culture has this ritual called "mencerak". Blood of animal (usually rooster) replaced the use of human blood (usually the keris owner's himself).
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:38 AM   #39
pakana

[QUOTE=A. G. Maisey]The very few people whom I have known to engage in using incense on a keris have done this on Thursday evening.

This is because Kamis Kliwon is considered to be a day for the spirits. And it is always Thursday (once a month though)

George
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:46 AM   #40
A. G. Maisey

Default deleted---non-productive

Original post deleted because upon reflection I considered it to be non-productive.
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:23 PM   #41
Pusaka

I'm just thinking about this oil which is made with water growing plants, the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps lotus oil. I have actually used lotus oil on some of my keris. I cant think of any other aquatic plants from which oil is made.
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:27 PM   #42
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Bugis keris culture has this ritual called "mencerak". Blood of animal (usually rooster) replaced the use of human blood (usually the keris owner's himself).
Is this a ritual which is meant as an offering to the keris or it's spirit or does it have some other purpose?
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:11 PM   #43
pakana

[This is because Kamis Kliwon is considered to be a day for the spirits. And it is always Thursday (once a month though)

George[/QUOTE]

Actually, today is Kamis Kliwon if anyone is interested to feed his/her "little friends".
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:14 PM   #44
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for the heads up George.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:43 PM   #45
A. G. Maisey

Kamis kliwon cannot fall more than once a month, but that does not mean that there is a kamis kliwon in every month.

This year, 2008, kamis kliwon falls on jan 3, feb 7, mar 13, apr 17, may 22, june 26, july 31, no kamis kliwon in august, sept 4, okt 9, nop 13, des 18.

Kamis kliwon occurs when kliwon, from the five day market week:- legi (umanis),pahing, pon, wage, kliwon, coincides with kamis (Thursday), from the seven day calendar week.

The sacred day for Muslim people is Friday, but Friday does not commence when midnight is passed on Thursday, it commences when the sun goes down on Thursday, and it ends when the sun goes down on Friday.

Those people whom I have known who followed the practice of bathing their keris with smoke from menyan did so each Thursday evening. However, the reason why somebody may, or may not do something when that person is acting in accord with a Javanese belief system is not necessarily simple, easily interpreted , nor standardised.

For instance, the conjunction of kamis + kliwon generates a set of numbers under its neptu that can be interpreted in various ways according to the Candra Sangkala. Then again, according to the dhapur of a keris, one day may be better than any other to attend to any perceived needs of that keris---for example, minggu wage is the best day to attend to a keris of dhapur brojol. But on the other hand, if that day falls on a day when the naga is not in a fortunate position, or when the owner himself may be better to perhaps stay in bed and not do anything, then obviously he would be a little bit silly to engage in tending to his keris.

Thus, if we are truly serious about bathing our keris with menyan, it might be best to first determine our Javanese horoskop, consider the attributes of our keris, and take account of the characteristics of the various days. Probably we should seek expert advice in such an important matter. But for those of us who are not Javanese, and not living within the social and cultural fabric of traditional Jawa, all of this could be a little bit pointless.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:17 AM   #46
PenangsangII

Quote:
Is this a ritual which is meant as an offering to the keris or it's spirit or does it have some other purpose?
I am not sure why it must be blood, but my guru told me that this ritual is supposed to boost the keris owners spirit in the face of an impending battle. Sometimes, the keris owner undergoes this ritual before running amok....to kill anyone on his path....something like juramentado that is practised by the moros.

Why blood? It's said that once you see blood all over your keris (and your body), you are no longer afraid to draw blood from virtually anybody. It's somekind of prevention from "mabuk darah" (passing out upon seeing a lot of blood ).
Old 4th January 2008, 04:48 PM   #47
Pusaka

I thought the blood was an offering to the Djinn in the keris. Not all keris have Djinn but the bad ones do. This type of keris is said to get more powerful the more times the blade has tasted blood. Sure most of you have heard about the keris becoming more powerful by tasting blood. If you think about it its obvious a metal blade is not going to get stronger by being covered in blood but what's in the blade might
Old 4th January 2008, 05:17 PM   #48
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
I thought the blood was an offering to the Djinn in the keris. Not all keris have Djinn but the bad ones do. This type of keris is said to get more powerful the more times the blade has tasted blood. Sure most of you have heard about the keris becoming more powerful by tasting blood. If you think about it its obvious a metal blade is not going to get stronger by being covered in blood but what's in the blade might
I have quite a few keris that have tasted blood (my own) and they have shown no sign of being inherently evil or any more powerful because of it.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:41 PM   #49
Raden Usman Djogja

the existence of keris is unique in south east asian social system and believe.

the people who believe keris is an appartement of ghost/spirit tend to do an offering ritual as an obligation. Even, if not an obligation, they do more because they are afraid if the ghost/spirit inside leaving their kerises and trying to find new appartements in where full of kemenyan smoke every friday kliwon / tuesday kliwon or friday legi.

moreover, some people go beyond. for instance, even still in the same level of offering using kemenyan, there are variety of kemenyan. everyone has favorite kemenyans. more powerful ghost inside they believe, more special kemenyan they offer. Then, usually, more special kemenyan is more expensive.

competition of offering is not finished yet by offering the most expensive kemenyan.

to few people, they try to offer using fresh blood. In their believe, using blood is the ultimate offering to get the most powerful ghost/spirit from sixth world.

then, till this step, sometimes a question rises who the real master is: the owner of keris or the ghost inside keris which owning the soul of the owner. be aware

offering is an expression
expression leads awareness
awareness leads to the decision how many effort should be spent
then
the real power of protecting should still inside the people who do an offering
the keris remains merely a "medium"
even to the people who believe in ghost power
the keris master should be THE MASTER.

all mentioned above is just an opinion

OeS in Africa
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 05:59 PM   #50
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
offering is an expression
expression leads awareness
awareness leads to the decision how many effort should be spent
then
the real power of protecting should still inside the people who do an offering
the keris remains merely a "medium"
even to the people who believe in ghost power
the keris master should be THE MASTER.
I believe we see eye to eye on this one Usman.
Old 4th January 2008, 07:42 PM   #51
A. G. Maisey

Yes, agreed.

The master of oneself.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:32 PM   #52
Pusaka

Personally I think a keris is and can be thought of as a Jimat.

http://drgrotte.com/BalineseMedicine...ntraforAmulets
Old 7th January 2008, 12:13 AM   #53
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Personally I think a keris is and can be thought of as a Jimat.

http://drgrotte.com/BalineseMedicine...ntraforAmulets
"Because the jimats is created and consecrated specifically for one individual it can never be transferred to another"
In this respect at least i would have to say that a jimat is the polar opposite of a keris.
Old 7th January 2008, 01:02 AM   #54
Pusaka

"If possible, the consecration of the jimats through the mantras is best when completed either on the new moon, full moon or a particularly auspicious day called Kajeng Kliwon that occurs every fifteen days. Consecration proceeds as follows:

1. Bringing the jimats into being with its accompanying mantra, using the name of the recipient as well as visualization
2. making the jimats alive with the Penguripmantra,
3. following with a joining mantra,
4. concluding with the Pasupati mantra that imbues the jimats with sakti

The jimats is then worn next to the skin by the recipient, who is instructed with additional information on the responsibilities of honoring, respecting and maintaining the live state of the jimats. If these instructions are not followed the jimats will cease to contain living energy."

Above was what I was referring to, the isi (or whatever you prefer to call it) would be created in a similar way. Also its questionable as to whether a keris was made for one person or not. That is why some would prefer a new keris rather than an old one
Old 7th January 2008, 04:30 AM   #55
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Also its questionable as to whether a keris was made for one person or not. That is why some would prefer a new keris rather than an old one
Is it? Surely a specific keris is initially designed with a single person in mind, but the idea that it will then be passed on down through the family as a direct line of power and a means of accessing that family's power and history seems implicit to the keris and it's cultural application.
Seems a strange statement from a guy who calls himself Pusaka.
There may indeed be similarities with the way jimat is imbued with sakti, but i think that it in the nature of the way this particular type of magick works. Certain many keris were made solely as talismans, but then keris have always had many other positions to fill in Indonesian life. I am not saying that some may not have functioned as a type of jimat in some cases, but to say that is what a keris is seems a bit off the mark to me.
Old 7th January 2008, 09:41 AM   #56
PenangsangII

The isi of a keris is transferable to the next owner, provided we treat the isi in the same manner that the original owner/s did. Further, when we buy a keris, we have the so called akad or solemn, and its not exactly buying a keris, but rather marrying to a keris by offering "mahar" or "mas kawin".
Old 7th January 2008, 10:31 AM   #57
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
The isi of a keris is transferable to the next owner, provided we treat the isi in the same manner that the original owner/s did. Further, when we buy a keris, we have the so called akad or solemn, and its not exactly buying a keris, but rather marrying to a keris by offering "mahar" or "mas kawin".
I've heard that not all keris 'isi' is transferable to the next owner. For example, the pusaka class, 'isi' would only serve the blood line of the initial owner or family.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 02:32 PM   #58
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
I've heard that not all keris 'isi' is transferable to the next owner. For example, the pusaka class, 'isi' would only serve the blood line of the initial owner or family.
For the most part i agree with you Shahrial. Certainly if i were to buy a true pusaka item that was in one family for generations i would never consider that keris to now be my pusaka, or believe that i could then pass that keris onto my son an maintain any kind of unbroken chain of power from the original family ownership. However, while i do believe that "blood may be thicker than water", i think perhaps intention may be at least as thick as blood. I can envision a scenario where a keris might be passed on to someone who is not actually a part of the original owners bloodline. Perhaps an adopted son or someone who has become like a son to the keris holder and/or his family. If it is given in this spirit and accepted with these understandings i believe it may be possible to maintain an unbroken chain of power in the keris.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:48 PM   #59
Alam Shah

Quote:
... I can envision a scenario where a keris might be passed on to someone who is not actually a part of the original owners bloodline. Perhaps an adopted son or someone who has become like a son to the keris holder and/or his family. If it is given in this spirit and accepted with these understandings i believe it may be possible to maintain an unbroken chain of power in the keris.
Perhaps. Should the original bloodline pass it on to someone else as mentioned, normally there would be a ceremony, for the 'transfer of ownership' with the name of the 'guardian' / 'isi', be made known... together with the accompanying rituals, based on what I understand.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 06:49 PM   #60
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Perhaps. Should the original bloodline pass it on to someone else as mentioned, normally there would be a ceremony, for the 'transfer of ownership' with the name of the 'guardian' / 'isi', be made known... together with the accompanying rituals, based on what I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semar
the power will cal in the keris with a mantra but this kind of power will not stay for a longer time so you hef to repeat the ritual for keeping the power in to the keris
True, if it is a real keris (one with power) then you cant keep any isi alive without repeating the mantra/ name. To know the name of a keris is to access its power. The name is only known to the owner/ maybe the family also? If you buy a real keris how will you find out its name?