Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2017, 10:34 AM   #31
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Gavin,
Some of the marks on you blade are clearly located in a cavity, so how could they have been imprinted by a vice?
You are correct that it is difficult to assess and interpret these marks from a picture.
Regards
Jean,

That is the point I make, those on my blade are part of a talismanic pamor, not a vice.

I presented this image for comparison to those on the Tajong above.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 01:26 PM   #32
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
Jean,

That is the point I make, those on my blade are part of a talismanic pamor, not a vice.

I presented this image for comparison to those on the Tajong above.

Gavin
Hi Gavin,
Sorry for the misunderstanding and I agree with you.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 01:37 PM   #33
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jean,

disagree with you, sorry. I also own some old blades made from files or rasps, it's a typical sign for this. Files/rasps has been high regarded as material for good blades. Good iron material was not found at every corner in old times!

Regards,
Detlef
Hello Detlef,
You have the right to disagree but I maintain my opinion that my blade was not made from a file or rasp and I have the advantage over you to have it in front of me, the pics cannot capture the details of the crisscross lines. And I have plenty of worn files and can make the difference in the pattern even if the old Indonesian files were probably more rustic....
It seems that we will not get a consensus on this subject and I will personally not comment it anymore
Regards
Old 4th March 2017, 02:32 PM   #34
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Hello Detlef,
You have the right to disagree but I maintain my opinion that my blade was not made from a file or rasp and I have the advantage over you to have it in front of me, the pics cannot capture the details of the crisscross lines. And I have plenty of worn files and can make the difference in the pattern even if the old Indonesian files were probably more rustic....
It seems that we will not get a consensus on this subject and I will personally not comment it anymore
Regards
Jean,

I understand your position on the chopper of yours.
Have a look at this old knife, early 20th century Bhutan, from a file, I think I have another here to share too, but look close at the formation. This was a thick spine with good distal taper to a very hard and sharp edge...not the pattern, even after grinding to shape, the lines are retained throughout its surfaces.
I am sure you've seen such things but for the discussion, I think the image is relevant.

Gavin
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2017, 04:30 PM   #35
Sajen

Quote:
Hello Detlef,
Regards
Hello Jean,

my comment wasn't meant in the direction to attack you in any manner. Sorry when it appeared like this. It was just my opinion and of course it is something different to hold it in hand or see it only by pictures.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 04:56 PM   #36
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jean,

my comment wasn't meant in the direction to attack you in any manner. Sorry when it appeared like this. It was just my opinion and of course it is something different to hold it in hand or see it only by pictures.

Regards,
Detlef
Hello Detlef,
No worry, subject closed
Regards
Old 4th March 2017, 05:40 PM   #37
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
One might argue that all pamor that is intentionally manipulated to create a pattern that holds symbolic meaning for its owner is "talismanic" in nature. I would also argue though that these lines cannot be considered "part of a talismanic pamor" as they are applied after the fact, no. And if we could show that these lines are intentional, and not merely the artifact of time in a vise, or in some cases because the blade itself was forged from file, that still does not provide any evidence that their intention was meant to be of a talismanic nature and not merely decorative. I am certainly open to new information on how these cross-hatched lines hold some spiritual or mystical meaning, but until then they are nothing more than decorative patterns to me, regardless of how they occurred. When this thread was opened i had really hoped we might see more examples of verifiable talismanic markings on keris blades. We all know there are many varieties that can indeed legitimately be called talismanic. Yet we seem to have devoted this thread to forging flaws and unverifiable cross-hatched markings. Surely we can find some markings that we can all agree are talismanic to talk about on this thread.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 10:33 PM   #38
Gavin Nugent

Default Quandary.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
One might argue that all pamor that is intentionally manipulated to create a pattern that holds symbolic meaning for its owner is "talismanic" in nature. I would also argue though that these lines cannot be considered "part of a talismanic pamor" as they are applied after the fact, no. And if we could show that these lines are intentional, and not merely the artifact of time in a vise, or in some cases because the blade itself was forged from file, that still does not provide any evidence that their intention was meant to be of a talismanic nature and not merely decorative. I am certainly open to new information on how these cross-hatched lines hold some spiritual or mystical meaning, but until then they are nothing more than decorative patterns to me, regardless of how they occurred. When this thread was opened i had really hoped we might see more examples of verifiable talismanic markings on keris blades. We all know there are many varieties that can indeed legitimately be called talismanic. Yet we seem to have devoted this thread to forging flaws and unverifiable cross-hatched markings. Surely we can find some markings that we can all agree are talismanic to talk about on this thread.
David,

Perhaps I should not have included the image and details I did as the thread is about markings not pamor. In retrospect, to me, two vastly different things, one being manipulation of steel, the other an application of markings.

The image I presented is the result of steel manipulation, however, it is I guess, still a good reference point.

Gavin