Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2007, 12:33 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Happy Goloky

just acquired this one from e-pray:

more pictures up on ebay until it arrives here.

item listed as OLD SWORD/DAGGER - VIKING STYLE HANDLE - UNKNOWN AGE Item number: 290170266566

auction house acquisition from a house clearance.

i do love some of the descriptions on ebay. this one is 14in. blade, appears to be a golok to me but with that viking handle, all sorts of ideas spring to mind i am glad there is still the occasional sleeper on ebay....

anyway, they got the unknown age bit correct. will be interested in seeing what the scabbard fittings are made of, looks like a bit of tidying up to keep me busy for a day or so. looks like there may be a small crack in the grip at the blade junction to stabilize.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Yup, Looks like a golok to me. Wonder how those pesky Vikings got ahold of it? Fittings look steel to me. I have one that came with the fittings painted with gold paint. Had to remove every one of them to get it off. They had also painted the scabbard with house paint. You have a real nice find. If I had to guess I'd say early to mid 20th century. I'm sure that someone that knows a lot more about these can give you a better idea on its age.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
mohd

Default Origin

kronckew

Is it a Sumateran Golok? I have a new one with that sort of blade shape but different style of handle and it was made in Kerinci (i.e. read kerinchee), Sumatera.
mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
CourseEight

Can't add any info, but love the post title!
CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 09:02 PM   #5
kronckew

jut thought i'd post a pic of it after cleanup & a bit of oiling.
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Ferguson

Hi Kronck,
I got one on ebay a couple of weeks ago that's almost identical. The difference is the scabbard throat. Mine has a little extension. The wood at first looked like very nicely figured wood, until I noticed that it was artfully stained in stripes. It was ok for what I paid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=016

Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 07:16 AM   #7
kronckew

howdy steve;

they look like brothers, mine had a damaged throat, appears repaired. i may have to rebuild the extension. my wood also was also figured in some human applied black stain. the wood grip has less 'stripes, grouped in threes, and the mouth is not as defined, but the eyes and ears are. the clip belt/sash device on mine turned out to be metal under a lot of grime & needed reattaching, likely a replacement, and all needed a good clean. scabbard was very dry so i soaked it in teak oil overnite cleaned off the few areas of active rust on the chape, bands and blade with steel wool, capillaried some super glue into a grip crack & gave it & the scabbard a few coats of olive oil & some hand rubbing. blade got the scented mineral oil treatment. it also is stamped on the left side, but i can't quite make it out...

with the exchange rate looks like you got the better deal
Old 3rd December 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hi Kronckew,
Is it just me or does the clip belt/sash device on yours look like it is made from the handle end of a fork or spoon? Could you post a closer picture of that area?

Robert
Old 4th December 2007, 12:57 AM   #9
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hi Kronckew,
Is it just me or does the clip belt/sash device on yours look like it is made from the handle end of a fork or spoon? Could you post a closer picture of that area?

Robert
looks like one to me too! someone got creative.
Old 4th December 2007, 03:58 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What would the TST (?) mark stamped in the blade on Fergusons example signify? also there is a small mark on the lower hilt near the blade that looks like a calligraphic 'e'.....is that an initial?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 05:18 AM   #11
Robert
EAAF Staff

I'm not sure what the markings mean for sure. The blade on mine has markings too but I can't get a good picture of them. I always figured that they might be stampings from leaf spring manufactures and that is what the blades were made from around WWII. Here are a few pics of the one I have to add to the collection of this style hilt. The only difference is mine has eyes of bone and horn and a brass ring in the tigers mouth. I just noticed that the hilt on mine is pined in place where the others don't seem to be.
Attached Images

Old 4th December 2007, 07:38 AM   #12
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
What would the TST (?) mark stamped in the blade on Fergusons example signify? also there is a small mark on the lower hilt near the blade that looks like a calligraphic 'e'.....is that an initial?
the way it's written it looks like the numeral '3'

of similar shape:
the arabic letter 'ayn is the mirror image, as is the arabian numeral for 4.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:47 AM   #13
sipakatuo

It is more like Golok Betawi (Batavia in the old days) to me. I have similar Golok like yours with the same kind of Handle made of Tandok. I will post it later. Ciao.
sipakatuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 12:47 PM   #14
sipakatuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
TBT means Tjibatu. Tjibatu is a small village in Sukabumi, West Java, Indonesia that is very well known in producing Golok since long time ago. It is quite common to see a golok that has a TBT stamped on it. Haji As'ari is one pande golok who is still existing till today.

Perajin Golok Pusaka Cibatu- Sukabumi
Haji Aas As'ari
Jl. Siliwangi III Gr. H Syarifudin No.313
RT 03/01 Cibatu-Cisaat, Sukabumi
Telp: (0266) 217791
Old 7th December 2007, 02:48 AM   #15
sipakatuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
just acquired this one from e-pray:

more pictures up on ebay until it arrives here.

item listed as OLD SWORD/DAGGER - VIKING STYLE HANDLE - UNKNOWN AGE Item number: 290170266566

auction house acquisition from a house clearance.

i do love some of the descriptions on ebay. this one is 14in. blade, appears to be a golok to me but with that viking handle, all sorts of ideas spring to mind i am glad there is still the occasional sleeper on ebay....

anyway, they got the unknown age bit correct. will be interested in seeing what the scabbard fittings are made of, looks like a bit of tidying up to keep me busy for a day or so. looks like there may be a small crack in the grip at the blade junction to stabilize.
Pls look at below pictures.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2007, 10:45 AM   #16
Ferguson

Thank you Sipakatuo. Excellent information.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote