Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 25th December 2019, 06:14 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default SPANISH BILBO BROADSWORD 18th c.

Here we have a nice 18th c. Spanish bilbo broadsword with six-sided German-made blade with rounded tip. The bilobate hilt secured with 4 rivets and possesses curved quillons versus the straight seen on certain models. The knuckle bow is floating and not attached to the pommel as later models are. There is a maker's mark at the ricasso ( a feathered arrow pointing down towards the blade). The grip is fine twisted copper.

This old soldier is tight and intact, with stains/tarnishing, smudges and scuffs only. When I originally picked this up two decades ago, the hilt was very loose. I enlisted the aid of the esteemed swordsmith Donnie Sheerer (the Mad Piper), who deftly created an extra ferrule and pommel cap to make the piece secure. This particular pattern can be seen in Neumann's 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution'. It is impossible to fully describe how amazing this piece is until it is in hand. A heavy beast, the blade flexes perfectly with pressure on its point. The blade measures a whopping 35.5" long, 1.5" width at the guard and overall length of spprox 43".

Asking $1700 plus shipping.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 26th December 2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: edit
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 06:19 AM   #2
M ELEY

Default More pics- Spanish bilbo

This is the sword that made its way to the New World. Spanish soldiers on the Spanish Main stood guard over forts in St. Augustine and Puerto Rico with these swords. Of course, they found their way into the tales of piracy as well...

See Neumann, 'Swords & Blades of the American Revolution', pg 160, plate 296 S. 'World Encyclopedia of Swords & Sabers' (Harvey Withers), pg 247. Wilkinson 'Swords & Hilt Weapons', pg 62 (bottom)
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 25th December 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 28th December 2019, 01:52 AM   #3
M ELEY

The arrow stamp has not been researched and may hopefully bring up some interesting information about the blade maker. Consider how much the sword merchants and catalogs are asking for this type sword (Tortuga Trading, Fagan & Co) and you'll see this is fairly priced.

I'm willing to take offers...
Old 29th December 2019, 12:56 AM   #4
M ELEY

Check out Cathey's thread for 'Spanish bilbo 1700' for info on these...

Now $1650 + shipping-
Old 30th December 2019, 10:22 PM   #5
M ELEY

I would hate to sell this on eBay!!!

$1600 and I'll pay shipping. Also open to offers???
Old 5th January 2020, 02:54 AM   #6
M ELEY

I've been told by a friend much more knowledgeable than I that these were more prevalent in the Caribbean and coastal areas of the Spanish Main than they ever were in the American SW. A true piece of pirate/nautical history here, folks. Believe me when i say I hate to part with her, but bills are bills. Note that the bilbo types are much rarer than the later models with the sail-type shell guards. This has the bilobate guards of differing size.

$1550
Old 7th January 2020, 05:24 PM   #7
M ELEY

Last offer I'm afraid then perhaps off to eBay ( )-

$1500

(what I paid for it nearly twenty years ago) and I'll also throw in shipping if in the U.S.
Old 12th January 2020, 02:57 AM   #8
M ELEY

I've just learned my Forum mailbox was full and have cleared it if anyone has any questions. Also would still consider an offer if interested...
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:00 PM   #9
M ELEY

More interesting info just learned from this very Forum and other sources-

The arrow marking at the ricasso is the mark of the Barcelona dagger smith's guild used since the 17th c. and seen on many other cup-hilts of the period. So this blade isn't a German import after all.

Now accepting any offers for consideration. Finances are begging I do so-
Old 15th May 2020, 07:58 AM   #10
M ELEY

Sold elsewhere!