Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2017, 05:23 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Old 13th November 2007, 07:57 AM

Posted by:
kronckew

Location: CSA Consulate, Rm. 101, Glos. UK: p.s. - Real Dogs Have feathers.

interesting, i had noted this one on a sword for sale on ebay (now ended). looks like a hunting sword.
it did not want to come live with me tho........

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:36 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 05:26 PM   #2
fernando

Old 13th November 2007, 11:29 AM

Posted by:
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
interesting, i had noted this one on a sword for sale on ebay (now ended). looks like a hunting sword.
it did not want to come live with me tho........ Quote.

]

Hi Kronckew You beat me to it .....I was surprised at the final price....have to agree that its a hunting hanger ...but think it was re-hilted ...the blade shape seems a little unusual for a hunting sword though, and I suspect that the blade has been shortened and the tip re-profiled.

Regards David

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:27 PM   #3
fernando

Old 13th November 2007, 12:47 PM

Posted by:
Andrew
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Jim, thanks for starting this thread (and bringing it to my attention--I owe you an email!).

Fascinating stuff, gentlemen. I'm going to add this one to the "Classics" thread.

Let's keep this going!

Andrew

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:27 PM   #4
fernando

Old 13th November 2007, 01:55 PM

Posted by:
kronckew

does look very hangerish.

most of the naval officers, while having a proper fancy sword for dress, would actually carry a hanger into battle as shipboard space tended to be a bit tight, they if i recall would sometimes have similar simple grips and guards....

in the u.s. navy they ultimately barred officers from carrying hangers as they were all different & too functional, not gentlemanly. of course, the officers at the sharp end took no notice and continued using them (and/or 'enlisted' cutlass) up till they stopped boarding enemy vessels....the war dept. eventually outlawed swords entirely & made officers turn them in for scrap, but wisdom prevailed and they were reinstated. i carried mine around for 5 years active duty & only got to wear it once in a parade, then once or twice in my active reserve days. the naval officers sword has degenerated into a pretty sliver of non-functional unsharpened polished & etched steel; i'd rather have a hanger.

it'd be interesting to know if this was a 17c. passau sabre captured & converted to a hanger for use by an english naval or infantry officer.
Last edited by kronckew : 13th November 2007 at 02:08 PM.

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:28 PM   #5
fernando

Old 13th November 2007, 11:05 PM

Posted by:
fernando

Hi Jim,
I feel deeply frustrated
I have deliberatily gone back to the Oporto Military Museum, in order to improve the pictures of this situation, but i couldn't manage better than the last time i was there. It is rather dificult to picture determined positions through the glass windows.
This is labelled as an end XVI century German beheading sword, of unusual quality, where the double human half moons face each other, etched three times along the visible side of the blade ... probably also on the other side.
I had sort of convinced the Directing Colonel to open the window for better pictures ( he owed me one ) but he went on a meeting and didn't show up untill i gave up.
I hope this is usefull the way it is.
Fernando

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:28 PM   #6
fernando

Old 14th November 2007, 06:53 PM

Posted by:
Jim McDougall

EAA Research Consultant

Gentlemen,
Thank you so much for regenerating this thread! and Andrew thank you for the kind words and including the thread in the classics, which is great as I had hoped this would become a standing resource on this important data that we could all use as a reference.

Kronckew, thank you for posting the marking from the hanger you note, and I'm with you in the regrets that you did not acquire it. The running wolf looks to be a 17th century mark and quite likely would have appeared on hanger blades. However, the mark may be from German swordsmiths who were emplaced in England at Hounslow in mid 17th century, as well as later in the century at Shotley Bridge. In both cases there were hangers produced, and as you have noted, became popular in maritime use. These short, heavy blade swords were key for action in the tight quarters aboard ships, and were often included among arms favored by pirates as well as the officers of commercial ships they preyed upon. I have seen the running wolf mark on these English hangers, though it appeared without makers marks and was likely used by some of the German swordsmiths independantly as a general quality symbol. Some of these seem to have been inlaid brass.

As Katana has suggested, it would seem likely that a hanger might have been reworked or remounted during working life, especially among private weapons.

Fernando, thank you for your excellent post and for the extra effort at showing the marks and the sword which really is interesting. I had often wondered about the crescent moon markings use on German blades, and this shows that they did occur paired, which I once thought appeared only on the Saharan blades. While I can see the moons, were there other marks on the blade?

All best regards and appreciation,
Jim

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:29 PM   #7
fernando

Old 14th November 2007, 10:54 PM

Posted by:
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
While I can see the moons, were there other marks on the blade? Quote.

No Jim, the only marks are the crescent (and decrescent ) moons. Three pairs of them, at least on the showing side.
Just a little note. This sword is labelled as German by the Museum, but this is not necessarily a fact. I once showed a full set of pictures to Philip Tom and he sugested it could be Hungarian, quicker than German. This just in case someone finds its quoted origin passive of doubt.

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 06:43 PM.