Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2015, 02:32 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Here's another thing to consider; the examples we have seen so far (okay, we haven't seen a lot) are all of revolver form .
I think this points to pre-WW2 otherwise we would see model 1911 45 caliber copies, no ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 03:03 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Here's another thing to consider; the examples we have seen so far (okay, we haven't seen a lot) are all of revolver form .
I think this points to pre-WW2 otherwise we would see model 1911 45 caliber copies, no ?
That is a very good question Rick and I totally agree. You would think that more Philippine people would have had a greater chance of seeing a 1911A over the old Colt revolvers that were used earlier. These daggers seem to be a bit on the rare side and I have only seen photos of a dozen or so of them over the years and they were all of the revolver style.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Sajen

Very interesting discussion! And Rick has a very good point with the revolver style. And Robert with the use of canteen sheet. And I am sure that the maker of gunongs have had complete other view about the use of aluminum as we have it today.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Sajen

Have just get another interesting example from ebay. The seller provided only two pictures and not much information. I am very unsure about the age of this example, handle (pommel) and ferrule is an early style but the blade shows sharp luks which is a sign of much later examples. I doubt that the fittings are from silver. Pommel seems to be from bone. All comments are welcome, special age guesses.
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

I think there's also a chance this handle is of Tridacna, or the Giant Clam shell .
I didn't get to see the item description on ebay; are there any more pictures available Detlef ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I think there's also a chance this handle is of Tridacna, or the Giant Clam shell .
I didn't get to see the item description on ebay; are there any more pictures available Detlef ?
Hello Rick,
that would be a nice surprise. It was described as "Chinese Kris Dagger" and the seller posted only this both pictures and no measurements. Hope that it is not one of this small souvenir gunongs.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 4th June 2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

So far I would place this piece in the 1940s. The mounts could be white metal, or tarnished silver.

The pommel shape is not quite the earlier forms. I have seen these made going back to the 1950s. Earlier forms curve and are not bent straight.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Have just get another interesting example from ebay. The seller provided only two pictures and not much information. I am very unsure about the age of this example, handle (pommel) and ferrule is an early style but the blade shows sharp luks which is a sign of much later examples. I doubt that the fittings are from silver. Pommel seems to be from bone. All comments are welcome, special age guesses.
Here pictures of the gunong after it has received some maintenance. The fittings seems to be from (coin?) silver and are very well worked. I haven't etched the blade until now.
I think that this piece is post WWII. I am unsure if this is a very well worked early tourist example or worked for real use, what you think?
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Sajen

Another recent addition, a rather big one, overall 12". Very unusual blade shape. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2016, 07:34 PM   #10
kronckew

gorgeous!
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote