Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th November 2007, 12:24 AM   #1
xerg

Default Need info ASAP, novice on ground in Tuareg country!

Hi all, I usually would prefer to do a lot of exhaustive research about a new topic such as this myself, but as I currently find myself in Lome, Togo paying through the nose for sloooooooooooooooooow internet, I thought I'd entreat you all to give me some of the basics that you know.

I'm interested in purchasing a Tuareg Takouba sword that I saw in a boutique today. It's listed at 60mil CFA (~130USD) and is in fairly poor condition. It looks almost -exactly- like the second one pictured on this site:

http://www.he-artefakte.de/Afrika/Et...egwaffenE.html

The scabbard is broken at the narrow part near the tip (and is currently affixed by a winding of orange thread which looks sorta cool). There is an obvious green patina from what I assume is the brasswork on the scabbard (it looks real, unlike a lot of the touristy pieces you see that are covered in light green paint).

Also, the blade is VERY rusty. What's the general thought on rust? Is it better to leave it as is in the way you wouldn't refin a Les Paul flametop? Or is it ok to clean it up? If so, what would be the best way to go about cleaning it up? The salesman, a Togolaise man, suggested sandpaper but I think he just wants to make the sale. The blade has what I've gathered to be the traditional three decorative "fullers" and two half-moon/lighting shaped markings near the hilt (they're small-- a little less than the size of a dime).

Other than that, though, the leatherwork is pretty nice and the blade seems to be pretty well attached to the hilt. I wish I could upload photos but, again, the internet here is terribly slow.

What do pieces like this go for? I ask since the boutique is non-negotiable and I wonder if 130$ is a good price. I am currently living in the region and have had other offers that started WAY higher (on the order of 700-1000$) for only slightly better quality goods (although that's Tuaregs for you, always starting astronomically high-- I've never put in the time to bargain with them since the starting prices seemed prohibitive to me). It'd be nice to just swoop on this one if the price seems ok and if the blade might be able to be restored to some semblance of attractiveness.
xerg is offline   Reply With Quote