Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th March 2005, 04:07 PM   #1
moose

Default Philippine Dagger for ID and Comment

Well I thought the Kris thread was getting too long so I thought I would start a fresh one.

Following that thread. Here's the next piece in my collection. It's a nice dagger, got a real nice heft and feel. Looks to be a bone hilt done in the form of a horse's leg. But I'm not sure about the bone.
When I cleaned it up and did a hot sun/lime juice etch the differential hardening line showed up and some purple, blues and gold.

The blade is 9 5/8" long. 15" overall. It's 9/32" at the hilt. It's square from the hilt for 4" and the last 5" the square edges are rounded over.

You can't really see it in the pommel picture but it appears to be peened over. hit it at least 7 times. Anyway a nice nutcracker on the end.

Finally, I'm not sure if you can see it well but there are 5 direct cuts/nicks on the right side and a good one on the left plus many little dings. Maybe some live blade training or actual use.

Anyway I got this in a trade from a friend who had a girlfriend who lived next to an old gal who husband had been in the war. You know one of those stories.
I got this one and the bolo people here described as being from Luzon at the same time.

Would appreciate your comments.

moose
Attached Images

moose is offline   Reply With Quote