Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
DavidE

Default New Member/S.E. Asian Sword Comments

Hello all,

I've been coming to this forum for a while now, enjoying the discussions and sword pictures very much. I teach martial arts in New Orleans, LA, with a significant emphasis on Filipino martial arts in general, and do a good bit of stick/sword training. I wanted to post pictures of a couple of swords I picked up in South East Asia, and am hoping some of you might have some information about one in particular.

Edited...the pictures are out of order due to the file names...

The first pictures are of a Parang/Mandau I found in Sarawak. The second group are of a dagger my in-laws got me somewhere in Laos, and the third set are of a sword I bought in Vientianne. I was told this was a Laotian sword, but have seen a number of pictures of similar swords on this formum that were described as a Burmese Dha. In Vientianne there were straight swords with a similar blade/handle ratio, with "silver" handles/scabbords in abundance...most new, but some older. I purchased the sword in the pictures below because the balance is excellent, and it is a solid, well made sword. Any thoughts you guys have on this would be appreciated. Thanks,

David
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee; 16th February 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Edit user name
DavidE is offline   Reply With Quote