Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th October 2016, 03:01 AM   #1
RobT

Default Powder Horn Questions

Hi All,

I picked up this powder horn a while back at a flea market. I suspect that it may be from Nepal but this is based on the most flimsy of evidence (I bought a Nepalese hansiya from the same dealer). The dealer also said that he had gotten some old Nepalese manuscripts from the source that supplied the powder horn and the hansiya. The horn doesn't look like it's from the US or Western Europe and doesn't look like any of the African or Middle East ones I have seen either. It doesn't look like cow horn either. Also, does anyone know what the spout plug and the carry strap would look like? The horn measures about 11.25" (28.5cm) from tip to end of spout (measured in a straight line. The incised decoration at the base of the horn is very simple and rather roughly done. The tip of the horn has a diamond and chevron motif at the very end and above that is a double line X with double lines above and below it. The lathe turned, wooden spout is about 2.25" long and is inserted into a wooden plug that closes off the end of the horn. The plug is held in place with two small iron nails. The suspension rings are iron and are held on to the horn by two iron rods that go completely through the horn. On one end, the rods are looped over to hold the suspension rings and, on the other end, they are bent over to hold them onto the horn. The rod at the base of the horn has a small rectangle of iron below the looped suspension ring holder. I would appreciate any information given.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote