Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd June 2015, 05:35 AM   #1
Rafngard

Question Two Kris for comment, and a new member who's eager to learn.

Hello All!

I’m a new member in Minneapolis who’s just been bitten by the collecting bug (and thankfully not by my blades!). No smaller part of this comes from my study of Kali (or eskrima, or arnis, an argument for a different forum). Recently, I’ve become the caretaker of a couple of Filipino Kris (krises? Krisii? krisen? I'm not sure on the plural here).

I’m hoping that the more experienced members of this forum might have some insight into the age and origin of these beauties. As they both came from e-pray, I am also prepared to hear that they may be tourist pieces, thought I hope not.

The first one (with the sinuous blade) was claimed by the seller to date to the Spanish American war. The Overall length is 26 3/4" (68ish cm). It is lighter and smaller than the second. A line up the center of the blade (visible in some of the pics) make me think that etching might reveal something fun. The blade displays a slight, but noticeable distal taper. Fittings are all tight (thought the handle wrap could use some love), and it feels light and lively in the hand. I’m not quite sure what the asang-asang are made of, but silver seems plausible, at least to my uneducated eye. The seller thought the hilt was horn, I’m not convinced.

I’m also interested in what people might think about the carvings on the scabbard. Intuitively, I feel like the top one (“the eyes”) might be original, but that the lower ones are probably the additions of a servicemen who fancied himself an artist.

The second one (with the straight blade) was listed by the seller as a “Mono kris,” which is amusing, if confusing. The handle appears to be horn. This one has a monster of a blade (super thick near the base, with a very strong taper), but surprisingly well balanced. I’m interested in the leather piece on the scabbard, though I suspect it’s a latter addition. The asang-asang has a bit of movement to it. Once again, I’m not sure what it’s made of. It should be silver, it could be aluminum. Any tips on how to distinguish I would be glad to hear.

I suspect the hilt, and possible the scabbard originally had some sort of end cap that was removed and/or lost.

I’d be happy to learn anything you all might have to teach me about these pieces. I’m super excited to have them.

I’m including (not very good) pictures that I have taken, and those of the sellers.

p.s. I will post additional photos in comments once this is posted (new member, probation, etc.).

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote