Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th April 2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Modern day Visayan Swords

Finally, after searching months and trying to figure out how I can get another good quality modern day Philippine sword, the wait is over. I already had a modern day ginunting(parkerized w/ kydex sheath) that was offered by Buddy at Typhoon Gear...and when the time came when I wanted to get their other available sword, the DAHON PALAY(they only made two), the company was out of business. Lorenz post on Typhoon Gear Swords back in 2008. These were the same custom swords made specifically for the Philippine Force Recon Marines, which group also practices and trains in Pekiti Tirsia. Sgt Prado of the Force Recon Marines is also one of the top instructor in PTK....Sgt Prado is said to be the one who has these swords made to his specs and are now coming out of his shop. So these are not wall hangers. I purchased mine through a middle man who is selling them for Sgt. Prado...this coming from their first batch offered to the public. But rather than getting the Dahon Palay, I opt for a newer sword they now offered...which he calls their modern day version of the Talibung or Pinuti. They only had one available and it was first come first serve. So I might be the first one who has this sword outside the Philippines right now. Shipping was super fast, I paid Friday and got the sword Monday(yesterday)...expensive, but it was the only shipping offered as of now. The quality is there. Bade is 18.5"...overall length is 25.25". The scabbard and handle are Kamagong...yet both do not feel heavy at all. Seeing the finger grooves on the wood scabbard when I viewed the photos, I didn't really think or care much of them...but now that I have it in my hand and after handling it, it feels remarkably great! Also, true to Visayan style swords, the blade is flat on one side!....I was not expecting that, and actually, that is what I wanted. The tip on the back side of the blade is also sharpened. I just love the design and shape. Balance is excellent...spot on with my other Visayan swords of the early 1900s, which is what I expected anyways since my other ginunting that was also made by them was balanced well. The quality is not overall A-1 Class, but I would say well worth the money I spent. Coudn't be any more happier with this buy. Haven't took a pic of it yet. So heres a pic of the display image they had for it. The other of the Philippine Force Recon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dimasalang; 5th April 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote