Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default BANGKINANG & BAHARI kerises?

We – in Java – call kerises such these, as Bangkinang (the longer), and Bahari kerises (the shorter one). But of course some of you know better than me what they really are. The shorter keris with specific "greneng" measured 42 cm (not including the pesi) and the longer is 54 cm long. More information on these kinds of keris, please?
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
PenangsangII

Salam,

The Malays of Sumatra & Peninsula call these dapors as keris Penyalang. Some would simply call them keris Panjang.

BTW, are the hilts original to the blade, or are they much later additions? I never saw this type of hilt in a keris Penyalang / Panjang before.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

From the viewpoint of an Oerang Soenda:

- based only on length; yes, the short one (LHS) can be called 'bahari' and the longer one (RHS) a 'Bangkinang'

- the Bangkinang was developed in answer to the Portuguese rapier, mainly for use on horse-back (read 'pony-back'). So it was straight (no eloeks/waves) and concentrated more on steel content than pamor/damascene patterns). Also, the Bangkinang did not have a tonggong/back-bone). Last of all, the bedor/tang had a flat section to prevent rotation.

Best.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
... the Bangkinang was developed in answer to the Portuguese rapier, mainly for use on horse-back (read 'pony-back'). So it was straight (no eloeks/waves) and concentrated more on steel content than pamor/damascene patterns). Also, the Bangkinang did not have a tonggong/back-bone). Last of all, the bedor/tang had a flat section to prevent rotation.
Sumuhun (thanks -- in Soenda dialect), kang Amuk... Once again I post pics of the blades but without hilt. The pesi (or 'bedor' in your term) of the longer keris is not flat as you mentioned. But round -- though bigger than the normal kerises, even a bit bigger than Balinese blade (but not longer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
The Malays of Sumatra & Peninsula call these dapors as keris Penyalang. Some would simply call them keris Panjang.

BTW, are the hilts original to the blade, or are they much later additions? I never saw this type of hilt in a keris Penyalang / Panjang before.
Dear Penangsang, the hilt belongs to the longer one. It is not ivory, but perhaps old 'duyung' teeth. I got the 'keris panjang' with such hilt (keris Bangkinang in Javanese term -- Bangkinang is a name of a small place in the southwest of Pekanbaru Riau, Sumatera to the direction of Padang, Sumatera Barat. This place, believed to be the 'origin' of such keris model or at least popularized from this place before 19th century). The style of sheath is Palembang, but the wooden "gandar" (blade section sheath) is no more original. Maybe broken, and changed with trembalo wood gandar..
Attached Images

Old 23rd June 2008, 06:47 AM   #5
sukuh

Dear Ganjawulung,

On several occasions I heard people talk about the "executionerskeris" when the subject was bangkinang.
Please tell me, do you think that remark is plausible or just a story?

thanks Sukuh
sukuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 07:18 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukuh
On several occasions I heard people talk about the "executionerskeris" when the subject was bangkinang.
Please tell me, do you think that remark is plausible or just a story?
Dear Sukuh, I think David van Duuren has written on this matter in his book, The Kris (1996, 1998). Please page 87,

"... the slender and straight keris panjang, or 'long kris', which also used for executions. One of those executions was described by a Dutch eyewitness. The prisoner crouched on the ground, his back to the executioner. Below his left shoulder was glued a thick wad of cotton fluff, the 'rose'. When the moment had come, the executioner attacked with a swift and perfect thrust, penetrating straignt through the back and into the heart. Death was instantaneous; the cotton absorbed the small quantity of flowing blood...,"

"In earlier days, execution by the kris was, in Indonesia, to some degree considered a 'good dead'; it was much more dignified than simply having one's head cut off...,"
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:00 AM   #7
sukuh

Quote:
In earlier days, execution by the kris was, in Indonesia, to some degree considered a 'good dead'; it was much more dignified than simply having one's head cut off...
Dear Ganjawulung,

If I had to choose I would prefer that method too...
So, correct me if I'm wrong, bangkinang was used for that purpose but not specialy made for it, as I was told..?
sukuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 04:26 PM   #8
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
...the Bangkinang was developed in answer to the Portuguese rapier, mainly for use on horse-back (read 'pony-back')...Last of all, the bedor/tang had a flat section to prevent rotation.
I have heard this claimed before, but developed for the navy.
Do you have any source for this claim as I would like to know more about it?

I have never seen any panjang/penyalang with flat tang but that's maybe because I haven't examined any Javanese???

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
I have heard this claimed before, but developed for the navy.
Do you have any source for this claim as I would like to know more about it?

I have never seen any panjang/penyalang with flat tang but that's maybe because I haven't examined any Javanese???

Michael
Hullo Michael,

I was talking about the Bangkinang keris. At the time, Bangkinang was an even smaller place then it is today. It was a very isolated place (dense vegetation etc.) and formed one of the 'rantau'/outer-regions of the Minang empire (similar to the 'kejawen' areas of the Jawa empire). Most travelling was done on horseback.I don't believe it would've had a navy, so I don't know what navy you mean..
Perhaps I used the wrong words: '......the Bangkinang was developed in answer to the Portuguese rapier, mainly for use on horse-back (read 'pony-back')...Last of all, the bedor/tang had a flat section to prevent rotation...'.
I meant that the shape was influenced by the rapier and its length more suited for horse-back. Also, I meant that the tang was round, but that only a section of it had been flattened (e.g. in the middle or at the tip).
(BTW ... traditionally, tangs were not always round. They could be helical-twisted, rectangular, with a hole at the tip etc.)
Since the Bangkinang became popular throughout the region, it also became imitated by local smiths, who may or may not have followed it's protocol.
As for sources,what can I say? I am neither an expert nor an academic, so I don't file/document everything. What I know and believe, I have picked up along the way (especially during my time spent under the tutelage of elders at my kaboejoetan (centre for heritage/tradition).
Perhaps someone who is knowledgeable on the Minang Pagar Roejoeng empire will give you answers.

Best.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote