Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2006, 05:20 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default New Keris - It Spoke to me and said Help - Now What??

Hi all, please take a look at my newest purchase. I've looked at this keris for over 3 years and the dealer had had it for over 10 years, His father had purchased it for a Dutch Canadian in the 60's. The label on the price tag said Sumatra Keris ca. 1850, scabbard ca. 1900. The price was high and even after a more than 50% discount it was still high.

This blade spoke to me, it said " Save Me". Now I've read much about the mysticism associated with Keris and do not believe all of it but I do believe my "6th sense" . It is only money right?

Now I already have a nice but new Keris (see the photes) but this latest addition has some age to it. How should I take care ir it?

The handle seems glued on. Any thoughts on how to loosen it. The brass cup thing does rotate slightly. If I were to add some 3-in-one oil to the tang, whould this loosen the handle? Any thoughts?

Finally, I've got to help and feed this blade. It really needs a loving hand to take care of it.

Attached Images

sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 05:22 AM   #2
sabertasche

More Scans.

Tx Greg
Attached Images

sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Mudi

First keris Sumatra. Second keris Bali.
Mudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Henk

Greg,

That Sumatra keris looks very good.

Is the ukiran really glued on the peksi? Usually a piece of cloth is winded around the peksi and then the ukiran is attached to the blade. But there are some id.... walking around freely who use glue to attache the ukiran on the peksi .

I suppose you tried to rotate and draw the ukiran to remove it. A good way to remove a glued ukiran is to put the blade with the ukiran in the furnace that has a temperature of 150 or 175 degrees. Just heat the piece in this way for a few minutes and try to rotate the ukiran. When you can do that the glue is losening and you can remove the ukiran and the glue from the ukiran and the peksi.

Two important things: Wear heat resistance gloves when you do this. The Mrs. use those things to pick up the scales with delicious prepared dinner, so don't cut with the blade into her gloves and certainly not less important: wait till she is going for shopping or working before using her furnace for these things. She won't like it

You better should oil the blade with keris oil. The blade looks very fine and oiling preserves this condition. Don't use to much oil. You can wipe it of with a cotton cloth and enough oil is left to preserve the blade. When the blade is dry again after some time, could be after some months or after a year, oil again.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Bill M

Is that a really big Summatran keris or a small Bali? Or some kind of optical illusion? I am referring to the picture of them together.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Alam Shah

The hilt ring of the bugis-influenced blade seems too big for the hilt. However, overall it's a nice keris. Congratulations!

Last edited by Alam Shah; 16th July 2006 at 04:10 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote