Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st December 2017, 06:19 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Omani Matchlock Barrel - Abu Fathilah

Hello all.

I don't have one of these Omani guns in my collection. But I have always wanted one of the barrels. Well, I now have one. I just could have never thought I would obtain one in this manner. LOL
Judging by the stock, someone in the latter 20th Century built this gun from scratch, but utilizing an original Abu Fathilah barrel !!! I have no idea if it was built for shooting or just for display. Seems like a lot of work just for display. I'll check the bore to see if there is any evidence of recent black powder usage.
The trigger and serpintine are fully functional. Anyway, everything is wrong with this gun except the original barrel. It has a jazail type stock that looks like it's from a Sindh gun, and a serpentine from a chinese gun. LOL Obviously, the builder had no idea what an Omani matchlock is supposed to look like. Too bad. Alot of work when into making this.
I bought the gun VERY cheap, so it really doesn't matter. It was worth the price just to get the barrel from it, which is all I really wanted.
Since this Forum is for original items, I will post just one photo of the gun as I received it, and the other photos of the barrel only, unless other members want to see additional photos - and the Moderator will allow it. I can always PM other members.
I re-read some of the Threads/Posts on these guns and barrels which are very interesting. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make these barrels.
Anyway, this barrel appears similar to others posted here in the past. It seems in good condition with a heavy patina, but smooth all over. There appears to be two deep makers marks at the breech. The barrel is 46" long and .55 caliber. While some of the decoration at the breech is worn, the barrel appears to be in good condition. There is probably no way to accurately date these barrels since they were made/used over such a long period of time.
So, I now have a Abu Fathilah barrel to add to my collection. Don't know what to do with the rest of the gun LOL

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Please see~

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=futtila

If you need any more close ups I can provide .. Good luck with the restoration.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 07:27 PM   #3
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Please see~

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=futtila

If you need any more close ups I can provide .. Good luck with the restoration.
Hi Ibrahiim.

Thanks again for the Link. I remember these discussions and it was good to re-read.

I'm just happy to have the barrel for study and my collection.

Rick
Old 1st December 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
As you quite rightly say, and as we have discussed elsewhere, the only thing "real' appears to be the barrel, and might I say a very nice one too! The rest is IMHO new made or from non correct bits. An interesting creation!
You mention that you have an Omani Matchlock in your collection....is it your intention to swap the barrels? Can you post a pic of the other one that you have please.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Pukka Bundook

Stu,

I think Rick meant he does not have another, that this is his first. I am sure he will put me right if I am mistaken!

Rick,
Very nice barrel!
According to Elgood, these Fluted barrels aren17th C.
The 18th C and later ones he shows are not fluted, but still very nice barrels.

I am still "all of a squirm" wanting to know Exactly where these barrels came from, and what they looked like in their original stocking up.

It was very interesting to me, when I saw that Tipu Sultan had two of these barrels in his collection, stocked up in more modern European style, And that the poincons of silver were also missing as we see in most cases now.
This must mean that they have been in many cases missing for a very long time indeed!
I do not see them inthis case, but you are well aware of them I am sure.

Pity the clown drilled the tang but I am sure you can correct it.
Please keep us posted about the re-stocking.
Somewhere I may have an Omani stock, or part of it anyway!

Is the bore OK?

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:07 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Stu.

Thanks for the coments. Yes, it's really a strange creation. You would have thought that the builder would have at least done even a rudimentary research as to what the gun looked like before doing all this work. But, no loss here. The price was easily doable just to obtain the barrel.
NO, I don't own an original, complete gun. And honestly, have never tried to seriously obtain one. But I've always thought the barrels were so interesting and full of mystery. So I couldn't pass this one up when the opportunity arose.
Yes, the barrel appears in nice shape. No corrosion that I can detect so far. Just a nice smooth even patina. I'll take the barrel off the stock this weekend and see if there is anything of interest. I'll give it a light oil cleaning while I'm at it.

Hi Richard.

Thanks for your coments. As you mention, Elgood dates these fluted barrels to the 17th Century. But there does not seem to be any conclusive evidence as to their original origins. Persian, German, ?? But the speculation is very interesting.
I am not planning at present to re-stock the barrel in a more correct, representative manner. But it's a "maybe" down the road. LOL Too many other gun projects at present. But I am sure happy to get this barrel. Especially in such nice condition.

FLASH !!! I just realized there is an obstruction in the bore, at the breech end, about 3" long. And, when you run a wood rod through the bore, and bounce it a couple times, it has that familiar sound of wood against lead.
Will have to investigate this weekend and report back. Could be an old load !! Stay tuned.......

Rick