Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd October 2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default Is this spearhead or bottom end ?

Heavy, cca 60 cms long, comming probably from Ethiopia ...
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Helleri

Not a spear head for sure. It's a little long to be a butt cap/counter balance. Likely some sort of ahlspiess (missing a disc guard) or javelin?
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:42 PM   #3
kronckew

some maasi ground spikes are quite long/heavy tho. so are the blades
the spike on this one of mine is 57cm. the greek phalanx used a spear with a 'saroter' butt spike that counterbalanced the point & was a secondary weapon in itself, so is the maasi version, they practice throwing their spears butt end first to protect the blade end from damage or dulling. the longer the spear/pike/lance, the longer the butt spike.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd October 2017 at 07:04 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you Kronckew. I think it is too heavy for javelin (61 cms, inner diameter of the socket 2.5 cms).... In Africa I would not speak about ahlspiess with disc guard.... My idea is either head from armour piercing lance or bottom part from heavy spear or lance - as you wrote, this spike bottom part can be used as a weapon itself. But I think it is not Masai. It may come to Ethiopia from its western neighbours .... I (maybe wrongly) can feel some "west Sudanese" influence (like ball section e.g.).... would appreciate any pictures with something like this - from Africa.
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:36 PM   #5
kronckew

i suspect a long lance butt piece myself, it's not maasi, just showed mine as an example. there are pics here somewhere of long lances, tho i didn't find one in my cursory search. the other members may recall one better. sudan/no. africa seems likely.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Thank you Kronckew. I think it is too heavy for javelin (61 cms, inner diameter of the socket 2.5 cms).... In Africa I would not speak about ahlspiess with disc guard.... My idea is either head from armour piercing lance or bottom part from heavy spear or lance - as you wrote, this spike bottom part can be used as a weapon itself. But I think it is not Masai. It may come to Ethiopia from its western neighbours .... I (maybe wrongly) can feel some "west Sudanese" influence (like ball section e.g.).... would appreciate any pictures with something like this - from Africa.
Yeah I'm just spit-balling. Part of which is the consideration that it may not be from Africa originally. Even if shipped to someone from there or bought by someone while over that way. It doesn't necessarily mean it was made there. Warfare, occupation, trade. All these things can find weapons and armour ending up far and away from where they were originally made. Seems good to not get locked into the idea that it must come from somewhere in or immediately adjacent to Africa.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you helleri