Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2016, 03:24 PM   #1
mariusgmioc

Default Persian Pesh-kabz

I would like to know oppinions about the age of the wootz Pesh-kabz in the photos attached.

I have a rough idea about its age but I would rather not put it down as I don't want to create any bias.
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Sajen

Not the area of my collecting but it's a beautiful dagger!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 06:20 PM   #3
estcrh

Very nice, I would guess 18th century based on others I have seen and the detail work that often is not as extensive on later examples, just a guess though.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

This is remarkably well preserved and the koftgari work is perfect--clear and crisp. I don't think this one is very old. There is some beautiful work being produced in Rajasthan these days, with high quality silver and gold inlays. The marine ivory (?) hilt is also perfect (apart from one small crack and chip adjacent to the blade). Just too pristine to be very old IMO. But I have been wrong before.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 07:07 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
This is remarkably well preserved and the koftgari work is perfect--clear and crisp. I don't think this one is very old. There is some beautiful work being produced in Rajasthan these days, with high quality silver and gold inlays. The marine ivory (?) hilt is also perfect (apart from one small crack and chip adjacent to the blade). Just too pristine to be very old IMO. But I have been wrong before.
It is not koftgary but true inlay damascening...

And it is wootz.

One more photo after etching. I don't know if it is noticeable in the first photos that the blade is rather heavily pitted. So I etched it almost without any additional polishing directly over the existing pitting.

Comes from a generations old Baron von Weyhe collection.
Attached Images

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 9th August 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 9th August 2016, 08:11 PM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I think the wear to the hilt is consistent with a dagger that was worn for a long time but not pulled out very often. I have not seen a modern made Indian example with a worn walrus ivory hilt.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 08:16 PM   #7
mahratt

Beautiful dagger!
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 08:16 PM   #8
mariusgmioc

There simply aren't ANY modern Indian examples made of wootz!
Old 9th August 2016, 08:19 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

marius:

The only way an old knife like this could have survived in its present condition is for it to have been handled very seldom and basically kept in a cabinet or drawer. That it came from an old collection, and probably not worn during that time, would explain why it has remained so pristine. It is a very high quality knife. Congratulations if you happen to own it.

There are similar knives with koftgari work (rather than inlaid) still being made. I'm not sure if walrus ivory is still available for use on such modern examples.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote