Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,985
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default The Omani Spear.

Salaams All, Here is my only reference to Omani Spears for Forum Library.

FROM PAGE 453 "Richardson and Dorr" The Craft Herritage of Oman ~

ar rumh meaning "the spear" It may be noted that Rumh was derived from Roman, and a name for long leaf or long bladed grass...to describe the spear ..and that when gunpowder weapons arrived the long barrelled abu futtilla also became known as Rumhi.. a historical tie back to the days of the spear.

Quote "The exhibit has iron blades with wooden shafts. Length of blade angled lower blade 38 cm on a 160 cm wooden shaft, flat blade above 48cm on a 261 cm wooden shaft". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
colin henshaw
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,130
Default

Here is my contribution, but its not from Oman - from elsewhere in Arabia ??
Attached Images
 
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 12:42 AM   #3
BANTARU
Member
 
BANTARU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Salaam Wajah,

wow thats a stunning pic! Thnx!

The spear would have been ideal for hunting oryx and rim on horseback, on the flat gravel plains, where they dwelt, back in the pre-gunpowder days.
BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,513
Default

This one is similar I believe.
Attached Images
 
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND (RISING FROM THE RUBBLE)
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams All, Here is my only reference to Omani Spears for Forum Library.

FROM PAGE 453 "Richardson and Dorr" The Craft Herritage of Oman ~

ar rumh meaning "the spear" It may be noted that Rumh was derived from Roman, and a name for long leaf or long bladed grass...to describe the spear ..and that when gunpowder weapons arrived the long barrelled abu futtilla also became known as Rumhi.. a historical tie back to the days of the spear.

Quote "The exhibit has iron blades with wooden shafts. Length of blade angled lower blade 38 cm on a 160 cm wooden shaft, flat blade above 48cm on a 261 cm wooden shaft". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Re last para above, 160cm maybe a spear but 261cm would almost certainly not be a spear but would be a lance. The two pics shown also depict lances IMHO.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Richard G
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 197
Default

Here is a picture from the Van der Meulen's "Aden to the Hadhramaut" 1939.
Regards
Richard
Attached Images
 
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,985
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default The Spear as a Badge of Office.

Salaams Richard G ... This is probably the first and only example of a spear used in the badge of office role in Arabia... That marking the carrier Sheikh Abdullah as the local chief.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 04:30 PM   #8
BANTARU
Member
 
BANTARU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Richard G ... This is probably the first and only example of a spear used in the badge of office role in Arabia... That marking the carrier Sheikh Abdullah as the local chief.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.



any idea which tribe?
BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,985
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Tribal name ~ You would need to look at Wadi Hatib and likely in the area of Jabir... Yemen.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 07:32 AM   #10
colin henshaw
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Here is a picture from the Van der Meulen's "Aden to the Hadhramaut" 1939.
Regards
Richard


Fascinating image - thanks for posting...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Richard G
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 197
Default

This Wadi Hatib is apparently south of Jabir on the road from Lawdar in Abyan province of the Yemen. Van Meulen describes him as Sheik of the Fat-han (unfortunately nothing in Arabic) who were farmers.
He relates that the Sheik and his attendants violently harangued him and his companions, thinking they were from the "Hukuma", for not keeping proper law and order, and then demanded 50 dollars for free passage. He was reluctant to be photographed, but his companions were quite keen and persuaded him. I think you can see this from the photograph. Van Meulen remarks that throughout, he kept a firm grip on his spear.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 05:08 PM   #12
BANTARU
Member
 
BANTARU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
He was reluctant to be photographed, but his companions were quite keen and persuaded him. I think you can see this from the photograph. Van Meulen remarks that throughout, he kept a firm grip on his spear.
Regards
Richard



hahahahaha that is evident. just look at his companions smile!
BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.