Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Yannis

Arrow Words and bids

That was something!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6577878224

I can see only a North African nimcha blade in very bad condition. Does anyone here sees something that I miss?
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

No! It was once nice but it does have its own decorative look. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Miyamoto

Nice one! It I'd bee worth having it for a 10% of that sum...

Is it an early nimcha with early, maybe 17th century ottoman blade? Or much a more recent one in bad condition? I cannot tell, but if it was found in Hungary, I have a theory:

Well, It isn't Hungarian for sure.

Here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

is another blade, put for sale recently by Ashoka. Wich is verry similar to the one above. Well, I cannot be certain until I'll hold it in my hands but it looks all about the same style as a Slovenian type of sword, Tolmin town area, from the beginnig of the 18th century (I'll post a photo from a book) The blade is what I would think from 17th century and Ottoman origin (east black sea area, correct me if i'm wrong), from the time od the turkish incursions, then obviusly rehilted by locals and used in the last great villeins rebelion (1713). The villagers kept a lot of old turkish weapons securely in their hideouts, concealed and ready to be used in uprisings.

Well it is only a speculation of a not-so-knoledgeable-but-logical-thinking guy, but that blade could be turkish (north african troops) from the time of turkish incursions in the austrian empire. If that's the case, the sword was not overpriced

Last edited by Miyamoto; 17th November 2005 at 02:06 PM.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 02:41 PM   #4
ariel

Miyamoto:
Totally wrong.
The "Slovenian" blade is not Slovenian at all.
It is a classic Beduin sword from Sinai, Negev, Transjordan. I have four of those and Artzi has one in his Gallery. The blade is a standard local concoction. Old, but definitely not high quality.
The Hungarian stuff... Of course, it is a Nimcha, and I presume with a locally made low quality N. African blade. I admire the way it was cleaned, though: from just rusty junk it was transformed into a Dali-esque multiplanar abstract structure.....
Well, some people are very, very gullible and some other people are using it...
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Justin

I agree with Ariel the sword you purchased was a Bedouin{spelling?} saber,I think they are from the Siani {again Im sure I spelled that wrong} peninsula.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 05:00 PM   #6
ham

Gentlemen,

To give Miyamoto his due, there was a 16th-17th century Central European form of saber which looks a great deal like the Sinai bedouin type. In both cases, the hilt is no-frills ergonomic with an asymmetrical projection at guard and pommel with exceedingly similar blade type, and neither is generally given to excessive ornamention. It is not unreasonable to confuse the two.
Incidentally, are there no rules of comportment to this forum or is it simply considered appropriate to snap at a colleague, particularly a junior colleague, "totally wrong" particularly when they are not... or am I the only member who would prefer to see a little more courtesy and a bit less statement of hearsay as fact?

Ham

Last edited by ham; 17th November 2005 at 06:53 PM.
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 07:03 PM   #7
Andrew

Exclamation

Let's definitely keep it civil, please, gentlemen.

And on topic.

Thank you.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote