Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question What Would You Do ?

Here is a bolo I recently received. I knew exactly what kind of shape it was in before I bought it because of the detailed pictures the seller provided. The horn hilt has an extreme amount of worm damage. I really hate it when I see things like this bolo that were completely neglected and left to rot with no attempt being made to preserve them at all. To keep from having to grind off the end of the tang to remove the grip and then carve a new one out of horn I opted to replace the damaged areas with epoxy putty. This way I could also retain what is left of the original grip and stabilize it at the same time. The pictures show what it looked like when first received and what it looks like now. At this point it is only roughed in and not yet smooth enough to be stained to match the original horn. I will post more pictures when I am finished with it. My question to all is, what would you have done if this was yours?

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Robert,
I think that is the best you can do with a damaged handle like this. Well done! Think the end result will be nice.
sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 05:21 AM   #3
G. McCormack

Nice job, I think since its so extensive, I might have drawn even more attention to it, using epoxy mixed with some colored pigments or metal flakes or something snazzy like that.
Nice handle shape on that one, looks really comfy.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Ferguson

You can buy epoxy colorants at Texas Knifemakers Supply www.texasknife.com .

Some folks have also used a bit of model paint in their epoxy. When I'm patching horn, I use just a little black, and the tiniest bit of red. With clear epoxy, a slightly translucent mix works fairly well.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Sajen and G. McCormack, Thank you both for your comments on what I have done so far. I think after staining the epoxy will look fine and match in with the horn pretty well. At least I hope it will !!
Steve, Thank you for the link to the supplies and for the tips on how to do the repairs. Again, thank you all for your interest.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
LPCA

Hi.

Unfortunately, old blades we find are not museum items, but genuine and interesting for their blade...with hilts a bit destroyed or more.

We are not restoration specialized craftmen. We just try to give a bit of live to the hilts....

See the attached pics.
For the nimcha (horn) and the flyssah (bone), i used a synthetic mastic that i first coloured in the mass with powder.

For the yathatan, i followed a description of repair by Adni (Oriental-Arms) see archives.
I remade the ears with hard wood (quite difficult because of the spatial volume or shape), 2 pieces of ivory on each side, metallic central strip readorned and gilded (gold leaf).
Heavy duty, my lords.

Louis-Pierre
Attached Images

LPCA is offline   Reply With Quote