Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2010, 05:03 PM   #1
chregu

Default Sumatra Keris tourist or not?

hello together
I bought this today and I'm not sure Keris tourist piece or not.
to any info grateful
gruss Chregu
Attached Images

chregu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Based on dress alone i would say this is a Madura keris, not Sumatra. This style of dress is often associated with "tourist" variety Madura keris. Yours seems an older example with an even older blade.
Back in the early 20th century many dutch soldiers brought keris like these back from being stationed in Indonesia. Perhaps one might say that was the beginning of the "tourist" keris. Those bring-backs usually had real, though lower end blades in some sort of carved sheath like yours. Sometimes the figure depicted is a lion. Yours appears to be some sort of bird. You may, therefore, be able to consider this a "tourist" keris, though certainly not in the same way as a contemporary blade in brand new dress made for the market these days. Personally i find keris like this one very interesting and collectable even if there intention in their current form was for sale to returning dutch soldiers. They are a piece of history if you will.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 06:22 PM   #3
chregu

hi david
thanke for the detailed answer. Indonesian history is not my area of expertise.
gruss Chregu
chregu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:52 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Yes, its a Madura keris, and as David mentions, this style of dress is sometimes associated with keris that were produced for collectors in the period from around 1880 through to WWII.

However, simply because there seems to have been production directed at the collector market does not make this style of dress any less desirable, in fact, old examples of this dress style are now relatively scarce and for the better ones, quite expensive, especially those which are carved as lions.

In my opinion, it is wrong to think of this type of dress as "tourist", because it is a genuine and old established type of dress, however Europeans favoured it because it is elaborate, and blades redressed for sale in the later colonial era were probably dressed this way to facilitate sale.

Examples of this dress can be seen in the museum of the Kraton Sumenep, in Madura. There are a number of different styles, all having different names. I understand the generic name is "gabilan", but there is another larger style that is named "brahmana rsi". I am unclear on the distinction between the two, except that the brahmana rsi is larger.

I do not favour the term "tourist keris", most especially for any type of keris that does have a legitimate old form. If I consider the types of keris that have been made specifically for the tourist market there is really only one type from Indonesia that I can fit squarely into that box, I do not have an example I can show a photo of, but it is a Balinese production, the scabbard is almost always of Makassar ebony, but later ones were stained black, the carving of scabbard and hilt is often of a very high standard, and very often the blade is a piece of flat iron with an etched pamor design. This type of keris was produced exclusively for tourist consumption.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 8th April 2010 at 11:14 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 02:31 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Photo Rich

This old thread :
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...gabilan+madura

And a Lion form .
No mendak needed; it's carved right in .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 04:41 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
However, simply because there seems to have been production directed at the collector market does not make this style of dress any less desirable, in fact, old examples of this dress style are now relatively scarce and for the better ones, quite expensive, especially those which are carved as lions.
Yes, i have been interested in finding a nicely carved old version of this lion dress for some time.
I agree with you completely Alan. This notion of the "tourist" keris is really a misnomer. Those nasty cut out blades with the paint on pamor from Bali would qualify, yes, and those souvenir Malay letter opener keris with the silver plated blades certainly do, but beyond that...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 02:22 PM   #7
BluErf

I thought the blade is a very decent blade! Has a settled old look to it, and definitely made by a pandai who knew what he was doing.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote