Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th September 2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Rod Charters

Default Shona pieces for Comments

Hi wanted some comments on some Shona pieces I have in my collection. The 1st piece below I aquired fairly recently at a local auction. All I know is that it had been in someones collection for about 20 years. I've been informed by a local collector of shona antiques that the brass wiring is generally found on the older knives with the copper being newer. I don't know if anyone has further info. Seems like a very nice piece with very intricate wiring and in very good condition. I don't know if anyone can date the item with the pictures below.

Rod
Attached Images

Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Rod Charters

Default Shona Pieces for Comment

A second knife I have below has excellent pattina, great wire work (copper), but a blade in poor condition. Also below is a short stabbing spear (have no idea of the age and whilst the blade looks rather weak the shaft is quite intricate), and a shona stick / staff with great pattening.
Attached Images

Old 9th September 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

First that is a very nice dagger. As to the question of brass vs copper determining age that is a hard call to make. Both metals were available but I have noticed that copper was more commonly found on pieces after 1920-30. I believe that copper mining went into high gear after 1928 in Rhodesia so it was more available and easier to obtain than brass. The dagger below is circa 1930-40 with copper braiding although nicely done it is not as finely done as the older 19th-early 20th century pieces.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Rod Charters

Default Shona pieces

Hi Lew thanks for that feedback. Your dagger also is very nice and looks in excellent condition. What are your thoughts on the second dagger with copper wiring (1 photo of the blade missing for some reason). Also wondering about the short stabbing spear and the stick and whether these are just tourist pieces or curios (although picked up from local "antique auction"). The shaft of the stabbing spear is quite nice but not entirely convinced with the blade which seems a bit flimsy and weak, but this may be typical of the Shona stabbing spears. I am currently under a short term contract in Zimbabwe but find it very difficult to get any good old Shona pieces, and seems most are already in private collections. There is one person here who has an excellent colection and literally dozens of old Shona knives piled up in rooms. However he doesn't want to hear the word "sell". If I get the time I may try to organise for his pieces to be photographed and try to get them posted on this website for the record as its probably one of te best collections worldwide even if not being looked after very well

Rod