Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Unusual Kukri.

Hello,
Thought you may like to see this Kukri. Made around 1900 or slightly later probably in Himal Pradech a traditional centre of Kukri manufacture lying between the Garhwalis and Jammu and Kasmir peoples. The decoration may have done by a goldsmith rather than a Kami (smith), the sun and moon mark probably represents Surya (sun) and Chandra (moon) the male and female aspects and in Bhuddist culture representing wisdom and compassion. The "palm frond" symbol is unknown. There was a similar Kukri sold on e-bay recently it too had the "palm frond" motif and was complete with, I think , the original secondary knives although one of them was made as a steel to accompany a flint. The manufacture did not seem just quite as accomplished as it does on this one but still a nice Kukri. Maybe someone knows the new owner, be nice to see it in greater detail.
I would like to acknowledge Spiral, Andreas Volk and Runjeet Singh of Akaal Arms for taking the time and effort in tracking down the origins of this particular piece. Apologies to the aforementioned if I have got any of it wrong but I've got to the stage of not being able to read my own notes, something about my writing being slurred, I'll blame the time of year.
Regards,
Norman.
P.S. If this Kukri ever becomes orphaned don't worry Spiral already has the adoption papers ready and signed.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Ferguson

Both the shape and the engraving are beautiful.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh yes, the engraving is immaculate!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
spiral

Its a lovely piece, the adoption papers are still waiting....

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote