Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th May 2006, 10:06 PM   #1
ariel

Default Sandokan

I just saw it for the first time.
It was quite fun, and as a kids movie it was much, much better then the recent robotic/high tech/ computer graphic junk.
Sandokan's sword was hilarious: a 19th century European idea of a dark and exotic "scimitar" The tiger hunts with Kukri and Kris were also very funny; never thought the task was so easy: just jump and slice the beast in half.
Sir James Brooke was an epithome of British evil, even though in life he was a crusading anti-pirate Christian fanatic whose fighting spirit and death wish were, no doubt, exaggerated by a wound he suffered in India and that left him without a .... (any children around?).. weenie.
Sandokan, for all his fame as a Tiger of Malaysia, is in fact, a sorry excuse for a pirate: he never failed to make the worst tactical decision and got beaten soundly time and time again. The supposedly impregnable island of Mompracem was taken by a small band of barefoot schliemils who were obligingly dropping dead every time Sandokan's Portugese sidekick Yanez fired his short-barrel revolver without even bothering to aim in any direction.

With all that, my DVD had 6 episodes (ending with an untimely demise of Sandokan's love) and his escape to wreck further havoc on the East India Company. Are there any more episodes? I got hooked
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Valjhun

I watch it as a kid and I liked it as far as I remember. Funny Italian movies/series from the seventies. If I see

However the wepon Sandokan is wielding is practically a chinese dao.
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Valjhun

Hmm.... SenSei... I wached yesterday the first chapter and I've got hooked also

Well as far as I know there is 3 or 4 movies with Kabir Bedi beeing Sandokan and a tv series in 6 episodes. I assume that you've have the tv series. There are two verisions of it the yamatovideo 2 dvd box and anotherone 3 dvd box. Wich of thoose do you have? It is the audio/video quality decent?
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Mark

Photos! Ah, the memories. Ariel, I am pretty sure you have all the episodes. I recall the last scene we of the handful of survivors of the assault on Sandokhan's stronghold sailing away in a little boat, with the Portugues guy stoically lighting one of his little cigars. Off they go to fight again another day! The whole point of the story I think wasn't that he was kicking British butt right and left (though in terms of individual fights he always did - it was just the battles that he lost), but rather that he never gave up the fight despite the overwhelming odds.

That does look a lot like a dadao. I had forgotten that. Also, isn't his turban, and the way he is wearing it with his hair out, all wrong?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote