Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Andrew

Exclamation OT: Hurricane Katrina

As of the last advisory, Hurricane Katrina has been upgraded to a strong Category 5 Tropical Cyclone, with sustained winds of 175mph, gusts >200mph and a minimum central pressure of 907mb.

This is a catastrophic storm, and it is heading directly for New Orleans, LA. New Orleans lies entirely below sea level, and is kept dry with a system of dikes, levies and pumps. The predicted storm surge exceeds 30'. A direct hit will likely turn the city into a contemporary Atlantis.

I just rode out Katrina as a Category 1 storm. We're still cleaning up, and suffering power outages/internet disruptions. Anyone within the potential path of this monster needs to make the appropriate preparations NOW. Anyone in New Orleans should leave RIGHT NOW.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I talked to my buddy who runs a 125' crew boat out of LA this am ; they are making a run for Galveston and for sure he's bucking a heavy quartering swell .

He's passing fully loaded supertankers heading for port in LA and TX .

Traffic out of New Orleans is creeping along at 2mph.
The storm is showing 200mph gusts with no sign of weakening before landfall .

here's a handy page to watch the progress from :
http://www.geocities.com/tropicwx/

/pops
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hopes and prayers for our friends in New Orleans. I have always loved that city and hope to God it will not be destroyed...but most important, that the folks will get out of there. It seems every hurricane season good fortune has smiled on New Orleans, please let it prevail.

Jim

P.S.Andrew glad all went pretty well there, we were watching via our flight operations here. Most of the problem for us was many operational ones as we could not get crews to the airport, some damage at the airport etc. but the flooding was the main problem. Handled quite a few people from cancelled Miami flights for those reasons, rerouted into various other Florida cities. Gotta say that people in Florida are incredibly resilient, all handle things very matter of factly and calmly. All the best!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy The Bad News

For New Orleans .

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwsz...tes=:laz062#t2
Old 28th August 2005, 10:18 PM   #5
Andrew

Exclamation

Folks, this couldn't be more serious. I was just talking online with a friend of mine who is a forecaster for the National Weather Service.

For the first time I can recall, he sounds scared of a weather event. New Orleans may not be there this time tomorrow.

Good luck and Godspeed to everyone in Katrina's path.

Old 28th August 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
P.S.Andrew glad all went pretty well there, we were watching via our flight operations here. Most of the problem for us was many operational ones as we could not get crews to the airport, some damage at the airport etc. but the flooding was the main problem. Handled quite a few people from cancelled Miami flights for those reasons, rerouted into various other Florida cities. Gotta say that people in Florida are incredibly resilient, all handle things very matter of factly and calmly. All the best!

Hi Jim. Those of us in "hurricane alley" have definitely developed a certain relilience (some might call it "numbness" ). However, I'm worried sick about this one. Literally: I'm a bit nauseated.

I don't think NO will ever be the same after tomorrow.
Old 29th August 2005, 12:07 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow My Prayers

Go out to the people stranded In New Orleans tonight .
Whatever you believe in please send positive energy to these unfortunates .
I am very concerned that we may be looking at a 21st century Galveston in the making .
Old 29th August 2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Listening to the news this morning it all sounds very frightening. I dread to think how it must feel to have your home and living threatened by the elements. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2005, 04:13 PM   #9
fearn

First off, I join with the others in hoping that New Orleans does not get totally trashed by Katrina.

That said...

Chill out, people! You're scaring yourselves silly (literally)!

I've spent my share of time digging out from mudslides, cleaning up after quakes, and the like. I know. I've also watched news people searching for hours, looking for the sob story that will best dramatize the crisis, so that they'll have a good story to sell. That's not what most people do in a crisis.

Most people are pretty resilient, and most of them tend to respond pretty well in the crisis and in the rebuilding afterwards.

As others have said, people on the Gulf are pretty resilient to hurricanes, just as people on the west coast are pretty resilient to quakes, fires, and floods. I suspect that some of our Asian members will have good stories about monsoons and typhoons, too (not to mention tidal waves).

We can get through it.

Fearn
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2005, 05:33 AM   #10
Andrew

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
First off, I join with the others in hoping that New Orleans does not get totally trashed by Katrina.

That said...

Chill out, people! You're scaring yourselves silly (literally)!

I've spent my share of time digging out from mudslides, cleaning up after quakes, and the like. I know. I've also watched news people searching for hours, looking for the sob story that will best dramatize the crisis, so that they'll have a good story to sell. That's not what most people do in a crisis.

Most people are pretty resilient, and most of them tend to respond pretty well in the crisis and in the rebuilding afterwards.

As others have said, people on the Gulf are pretty resilient to hurricanes, just as people on the west coast are pretty resilient to quakes, fires, and floods. I suspect that some of our Asian members will have good stories about monsoons and typhoons, too (not to mention tidal waves).

We can get through it.

Fearn

We will certainly get through it, Fearn. That's not really the point. Having lived through more hurricanes than I care to discuss, I am fearful for those who faced this storm. I started this thread to share those feelings.

I'm gratified this event wasn't as bad as predicted when I started this thread. It was shaping up to be one of the worst ever. Thankfully, the storm shifted, and decreased in strength shortly before landfall. However, preliminary reports indicate massive property damage, 55 dead in Gulfport, LA and 50 dead in Biloxi, MISS.

I expect this to get much worse before it gets better.
Old 30th August 2005, 07:23 AM   #11
fearn

Hi Andrew,

Well, New Orleans seems to have gotten through the storm, and it could have been worse. Now we get the long, slow process of taking stock and cleaning up. Hopefully the death toll won't get much higher.

F
Old 30th August 2005, 02:57 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Well , I guess it just got a lot worse .
There are substantiated reports of a 200 meter long breach in the Lake Ponchitrain levee .
Old 1st September 2005, 01:24 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As everyone by now is well aware, this event has become cataclysmic and continues to exceed every imaginable comparison to other disasters, at least those known here in the U.S. The levees have completely failed and New Orleans is slowly becoming immersed in what is literally a most deadly and toxic pool. The monsterous hurricane itself, although missing New Orleans, swept through the Gulf Coast with unbelievable ferocity, actually regaining strength as it literally swept whole towns off the map. There is little left standing in most places on the gulf with over 90% total destruction of structures in Gulfport and Biloxi.
While New Orleans evacuated for the most part, much of Mississippi did not, and it is yet impossible to determine death tolls. Incredible winds and deadly tornados spawned by the hurricane took their toll into Alabama as well.

As an airline agent here in Dallas, I do know we have been able to get several relief planes into New Orleans, and yesterday we brought in 10 employees along with hundreds of stranded passengers from virtually every airline that goes into New Orleans. The remainder of our employees we are still trying to locate. With no phones or communication, transportation or for that matter even addresses as most of the city is underwater, it is at this point impossible, but we are still trying. The airport itself has intermittantly had at least one runway open enough to accomplish those relief flights, but that status remains unstable.

At this point, the unimaginable and tragic loss of life remains ever present, but not yet in known statistics or numbers. Thankfully they are getting everyone out of the city as they race against the insidious aftermath that will surely claim many more victims if they remain there any longer. I cannot begin to imagine the agony and despair of these poor people in this waterborne hell of filth, toxic chemicals and oil, death and many deadly forms of wildlife, and deadliest of all the disease that is inevitable.

This event has surpassed our fears and become a disaster of magnitude this country has not ever experienced. We have always been the rescuer in so many worldwide disasters and been first to be there to help.......this time it was us, and we are honestly stunned as we try to understand ourselves as the victims. This was indeed, our tsunami.

I pray for those who were lost, and for strength and comfort for the loved ones who remain, and that we can help those survivors regain thier lives. I deeply mourn the loss of a city I truly loved, and for all whose loved ones, homes and in fact whole towns were lost.

With deepest compassion,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 01:45 AM   #14
fearn

You're right, Jim.

I'll also add this:

http://www.redcross.org

You might have trouble getting through. I took the money I was saving up to buy a sword and donated it for flood relief. Not much, but every little bit helps.
F
Old 1st September 2005, 02:28 AM   #15
John

I was watching both CNN and BBC last night and could not imagine the magnitude of disaster of this merciless hurricane.

My heartfelt compassion for all victims and pray for a speedy recovery for all those affected.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 04:36 AM   #16
Andrew

Unhappy

I just finished an online conversation with an aquaintance who lived in New Orleans. Thankfully, he and his family are all safe, as they evacuated before the storm hit.

He and his brother are paramedics and, using their credentials, suceeded in gaining access to the city to assess the damage to their home and to retrieve some belongings. They had the wisdom to arm themselves.

He advises that the looting and crimes against people are being under-reported by the media. Armed mobs are roaming the few dry streets left in the city, and they personally witnessed multiple attacks, carjackings and shootings. They also saw bodies floating in the streets. They left without reaching their home.

Martial law has been declared in New Orleans. A mandatory evacuation has been ordered, and convoys of vehicles are transporting refugees to the Houston Astrodome several hundred miles away for shelter. It is estimated the entire city will be unihabitable for months. Current estimates place the number of deaths in the thousands.

I am overwhelmed. Godspeed to everyone touched by this tragedy.