Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th July 2023, 01:52 PM   #1
milandro

Default I'd like to see cross cultural sundang melayu kerises

I own a few krises and they are: Javanese , Balinese and Bugis.

I also own one Moro Kris with a very large 13Luk blade.

I'm curious about those Melayu Sundang that are not from the Philippines and which actually represent a cross cultural meeting of culture between the Indonesian kris and the Philippino Kris.

I understand they are shorter, generally show pamor and may feature or not Baca Baca. I think I gather that the hilt is friction mount (as opposed to be set in place) and there is , albeit not always, a mendak or selut of some sort?

I have had some contacts with a Balinese dealer whom suggested a couple but I am not so sure that they are what I may be interested in.

I would like to know more about these specific krises. I am not even sure that this tradition is very old. I have seen some examples clearly new but also saw others that appeared older but were certainly not older than 100 years if at all that!

thanks!

Just to show one example, this was sold a few years ago on Catawiki , it certainly was a new example but I think it fairly depicts the kind of thing which I do mean
Attached Images

Last edited by milandro; 6th July 2023 at 04:56 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote