Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Gunong With Questions.

I've had this small gunong for a month or so now ( it was pointed out to me at auction by a very kind forum member) and thought it was time to ask a few questions about it. First, the guard and collar are cast in one piece. This is something that I have not seen before. Does this help pinpoint who it was that made it and help in where and when it might have been made? Second, the blade of this piece was not attached very well and pulled free from the grip with little effort. It was inserted where the point was pointing up not downward like it is in the photos. Which is the correct way for the blade to be positioned, point up or point down like it is now? My thank to anyone who might be able to help in answering these questions. The blade on this is 6-5/8 inches in length and 1-1/4 inches wide at the guard. Total length of this piece is 9-3/4 inches. Again, I apologize for the poor picture quality but it has snowed over 12 inches here in the last two days making it a bit difficult to take them outside.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have to admit I have not seen a cast guard and ferrule like this either. The blade is correct. By the waves in the blade, the simplicity of the work, the size of the piece, and the form of the hilt, I might place this as an early gunong, parhaps 1910s to 1920?

Hard to date these with any real accuracy. Also hard to figure out where it was made since there is no decoration to indicate tribal origin. The only thing is that most of these were made on Mindanao........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Thank you Jose. I was hoping that the one piece cast guard/collar might help pinpoint a specific group and location for this gunong. As for the age, I have always been quite confused as how to figure that out. I take it that the shape of the hilt and blade are two of the better indicators used in dating these, is this correct? Thank you again for your help.

Best,
Robert
Old 28th February 2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Nirghosa

The orientation as you have it now is correct. I picked up one very similar to this at the local smalltown gun and knife show last year. It was in a batch of "take your pick" for $12.
I would place it around 1920 as well.
Can you post a pic of the blade longitudinally? it looks very thick in the centerline.
Nirghosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Nirghosa, and thank you for your help. I can post a picture of the blade thickness sometime tomorrow if that would be OK. To answer your question though, the blade is 3/16 of an inch thick at the guard. Could you possibly post a picture of the one you have for comparison, is the guard/collar cast on your example too?

Best,
Robert
Old 28th February 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
Montino Bourbon

I had to take pictures immediately, so forgive me if they're taken right on my computer table. This is a Gunong that I picked up on eBay about 3 months ago. It arrived after I went to India, so I hadn't had a chance to look at it until last week. Like the one above, the blade was not at all firmly attached in the handle, and another similarity is that the ferrule is cast in one piece, as you can see. The blade is a dull color because I stained with ferric chloride, hoping for some kind of a pattern. There are very small cracks in the blade that suggests that it was forged.The blade is 6 1/2 inches long. The sheath seems very ordinary.

I think the blade is nice and functional, an excellent knife and a real weapon, I don't have any idea of the age. Can anybody here help me?
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Nirghosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Nirghosa, and thank you for your help. I can post a picture of the blade thickness sometime tomorrow if that would be OK. To answer your question though, the blade is 3/16 of an inch thick at the guard. Could you possibly post a picture of the one you have for comparison, is the guard/collar cast on your example too?

Best,
Robert
sure, I'll take a picture in the morning when the light is best. No, the guard and collar are not cast but more like Montino's.
Old 1st March 2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Nirghosa

Actually, I found I did have one poor picture on this computer
Attached Images

Old 3rd March 2013, 01:40 AM   #9
Ferguson

I've got at least one with a cast ferrule/guard. Here's one of a similar (?) age.

Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:16 AM   #10
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I LIKE THIS FORM OF GUNONG A LOT BECAUSE OF ITS SIMPLE DESIGN AND SMALL SIZE. IT SELDOM HAS MUCH DECORATION SO IS NOT MADE TO BE DISPLAYED WHEN WORN. THE WAVEY BLADED FORM WOULD NOT SERVE VERY WELL AS A WORK KNIFE SO IT LEADS ME TO THINK THESE WERE WORN CONCELED AND USED FOR SELFDEFENSE OR ATTACK. THEY ALSO APPEAR TO BE ONE OF THE EARLIER FORMS OF GUNONG FROM THE ONES I HAVE SEEN. JUST MY OPINION WHAT DO OUR HARD CORE COLLECTORS OF THINGS GUNONG THINK?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:43 AM   #11
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I LIKE THIS FORM OF GUNONG A LOT BECAUSE OF ITS SIMPLE DESIGN AND SMALL SIZE. IT SELDOM HAS MUCH DECORATION SO IS NOT MADE TO BE DISPLAYED WHEN WORN. THE WAVEY BLADED FORM WOULD NOT SERVE VERY WELL AS A WORK KNIFE SO IT LEADS ME TO THINK THESE WERE WORN CONCELED AND USED FOR SELFDEFENSE OR ATTACK. THEY ALSO APPEAR TO BE ONE OF THE EARLIER FORMS OF GUNONG FROM THE ONES I HAVE SEEN. JUST MY OPINION WHAT DO OUR HARD CORE COLLECTORS OF THINGS GUNONG THINK?
I agree on all counts.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote