Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Hutu/Tutsi/RDC dance sickle?

This arrived this morning and I am rather pleased with it. I have seen large ones, obviously for men before but not at the price I have been willing to pay. This is the first one of this type I have seen. I do not know how to create links so I have also post a picture of a large one from <Mambele.be> . That mine of information "Freddy" might be able to throw some more light on the subject. I can see this looking charming in the hands of a dancing Hutu/Tutsi maiden. Quick wheres that bucket of ice water
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This picture is also from <Mambele.be> Attributed to Lega Congo. It is about 5cm longer than the one I have. Tim
Attached Images

Old 7th August 2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Flavio

Hello Tim, from "The Sickle Weapons part III (Tribal Arms Monographs vol 1/n.3)" of Jan Elsen:
"This type of knife is more a tool than a weapon. In the early literature it is generally described as a bush knife. It has been used for centuries for all sorts of chopping or hacking and, until recently, also as a weapon. Tha basic shape varies little and it is probably more utilitarian than cerimonial....
Miniature versions in bone are found among the Lega and were using during the bwami initiation rites...
Tha Hutu called it urugesho
"
Maybe yours example is quite recent with the handle decorated with beads,
but this is only a suggestion
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Freddy

Arrow

These smaller Tutsi sickles are often viewed as 'tourist pieces'. And perhaps a lot of them are.
But in 'TRIBAL', a tribal art magazine (n° 7, summer edition 2004), there's a very interesting piece on the decorative arts of Ruanda and Burundi. A big part of this article deals with the beaded items.

The author states that the beaded pots, knives, shields ......and probably also the sickles, were a means of showing off. The Tutsi elite used these beaded items to enhance their prestige.
The reason why these objects are often found in collections lies perhaps in the fact that the 'whites' had more contact with the ruling Tutsi class.

Look at the small beaded pot in the middle, which is exquisitely covered with beads.

On the other hand, the real 'Tutsi sickle knives' are real tools and/or weapons. The one in my collection measures about 66 cm. The metal rod connecting the blade to the handle has a diameter of about 1,5 cm.
It would be easy to cut a branch or an arm with this 'tool'.

By the way, I found this one in a junk shop for almost nothing. So keep looking, Tim
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2005, 08:06 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

Thanks Freddy, it is very good of you to give such clear information. Now I really have to find a big one, I knew I should have bought the last one I saw but at the time it just did not feel right, I could kick myself now. Tim