Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2005, 08:19 PM   #1
TVV

Default My first tulwar

As with so many other weapon types, tulwars were not among my favorites until I finally acquired one. I actually bought this one a few months ago only because it was extremely cheap (three BigMac menus) with the intent to ship to Bulgaria where it would be quite rare, and to exchange it there for something else. Now that I finally got myself to cleaning it, I was somewhat surprised to discover that I like it quite a lot and decided to keep it and post it here for comments.
It is quite plain, except for some geometric decoration on the hilt. What I like about the piece is the blade: a serious, triple fullered 30” blade, definitely meant for business, single-edged for the most part and double edged for about a quarter of the length down from the tip. No markings visible. Unfortunately, it has been abused a lot, as I received it covered with thick layers of rust with occasional spots where the blade was polished, most probably with a sandpaper and a power tool . It also appears to have been sharpened with disastrous results near the handle and if there once was a ricasso, it is now completely gone. According to the seller, it was discovered in a barn in Pennsylvania, out of all places, which of course could have been a made up statement in an attempt to connect the poor tulwar to the Civil War somehow.
My guess would be a mid 19th century Sikh origin due to the sun motif on pommel, and I wanted to check if I am correct in this assumption, since I know very little about Indian weapons. Also, is the blade European, or could it be locally produced imitating Western blades of triple fullered construction? Thank you for your comments,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hi, I do not know much about these weapons but it looks like a general talwar which could come from anywhere N.S.E.W in the India subcontinent. I love that, found in a barn, we get it in the UK to, sometimes the most extraordinary alien weapons and often not very old, just in really bad condition. Saying that it looks not bad, shame there is no scabbard, I have yet to find one that will open my wallet, I am a Meany though . Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

How about some better (in focus) pictures Teodor ; details like the hilt , ricasso , close up of the blade .
No ricasso could indicate a Persian blade .
Many native blades were triple fullered .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Aqtai

I got my first tulwar a few weeks ago and i'm very pleased with it. A triple fullered blade sounds very interesting, it's a pity the sword has been so badly abused though. I agree with the statement above, more photos please.
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 12:37 AM   #5
TVV

Thank you all for the responses. I tried to take a few more detailed pictures. With the set of photographic skills and equipment I have, this is he best I can do, sorry for the low quality.
The sword actually came with an ugly, woooden, yellowish cloth covered scabbard that does not fit and is certainly not original to the weapon, and this is the reason I have not included it in the pictures. Anyway, I have attached pictures of the hilt, the pommel, the ricasso, or what is remaining of it, and the blade at its widest point.
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote