Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2024, 11:53 PM   #1
10thRoyal

Default New shamshir: hoping for a diamond in the rough.

I picked up a nondescriptly named "curved sword" at an auction recently and may have done alright for myself despite my initial disappointment at the blade. From the auction photo I could see some form of calligraphy on the blade but not much else. The grip looks almost like one of the "modernized military Khyber knife" grips I've seen on some sabers from areas around and in Afghanistan. When I got the sword, there was no visible wootz, just some oddly twinkling crystalline dots amid the rust. The cartouche seemed promising though so I went ahead and cleaned a portion of the blade and did a minor test etch (please don't judge the etch I'm still figuring that part out hahaha). My progress so far showed most of my initial worries were unfounded. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts. I'll post an update when I can manage a respectable etching. The cartouche has a "172" at the bottom of it. Assuming the rest of the inscription is fiction, I'm assuming that might point to a Gregorian 1759 manufacturing date for the blade?
Attached Images

10thRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 04:28 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is indeed a diamond in the rough. It looks like a Persian trade blade, but I'll let the wootz experts confirm this.

I agree with the Afghan hilt attribution. Congratulations.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 12:40 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I'm nowhere near a wootz expert, but the pattern seems very linear for wootz, with parallel lines bunched together near the sharpened edge. Looks maybe like a laminated blade to me, but let's hear from our more knowledgeable members.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 05:06 PM   #4
GePi

Hi,
I agree that is a nice example of a late 19th century Afghan shamshir, and the blade earlier than the hilt.

I am quite certain the blade is wootz. These parallel lines along the cutting edge are a feature that is commonly seen on shamshir blades with nice watered wootz patterns, I have attached a close up of the pattern of my own Afghan shamshir that I managed to grab earlier this year.

As for the cartouche I don't think that it is a Persian trade blade, rather locally made.
These a bit crude looking single cartouches I have seen before on Afghan blades, I have added two mounted in pulwar hilts that seem to made with the same stamp.
Those two have written amal-e assadullah esfahani whereas your's has the bandeye shah-e velayat, the second part of the generic Persian double cartouche, but otherwise they look quite similar to me.

I feel the date seems a bit early, but on the other hand I don't think it would make much sense to fake a date that is after all still not that early, so it might be genuine.
Attached Images

GePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 05:56 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thank you GePi. As noted already, I'm no expert on wootz! I have seen similar linear markings along the edge of some laminated Filipino blades, which prompted my question about whether this was in fact wootz. You have provided clear evidence it is. That's a lovely blade that you have shown.

Nice pick-up 10th Royal!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 06:43 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hi,
The hilt configuration would suggest it has undergone a local interpretation of a Western style sword hilt and guard much as has happened to this Khyber knife of mine. You'll notice the scabbard even has a drag although this is entirely pointless as the scabbard is far too short to be anywhere near ground level. This adaptation to the chape is just a rote copy of British sword scabbards of the period. As far as I could determine searching the net this was done at the end of the 19thC when Britain had influence in the region and locals were styling their military along Western lines. Nice sword and I will look forward to seeing the blade when cleaned up a little.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2024, 07:07 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Another look changes my mind into the blade being a tight pattern damascus, which as Ian has said, has been found on some Moro pieces.
Old 11th June 2024, 07:14 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here are pictures of my stolen gunong from years ago, with a close up of a wootz looking blade structure similar to your blade.
Attached Images

Old 11th June 2024, 08:14 PM   #9
10thRoyal

Fantastic info from all of y'all, it is all very much appreciated . And Norman, that was my exact thought! I wasn't able to find another example of this hilt type on a shamshir but it did not seem to be out of the realm of possibility. The "new" hilt is unfortunately of low quality. My bottle of Ferric Chloride just arrived so I'll have some (hopefully) pretty pictures shortly.

And beautiful blades GePi. One of those pulwar blades would really make this a piece to display instead of the current grip which looks like the work of a Khyber Pass gunsmith, hahaha.

I'm open to it being laminated honestly. At the very least it was done well and isn't some tourist piece. Hopefully will get some clarity soon.
Old 12th June 2024, 06:14 PM   #10
GePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thRoyal View Post
Fantastic info from all of y'all, it is all very much appreciated . And Norman, that was my exact thought! I wasn't able to find another example of this hilt type on a shamshir but it did not seem to be out of the realm of possibility. The "new" hilt is unfortunately of low quality. My bottle of Ferric Chloride just arrived so I'll have some (hopefully) pretty pictures shortly.

And beautiful blades GePi. One of those pulwar blades would really make this a piece to display instead of the current grip which looks like the work of a Khyber Pass gunsmith, hahaha.

I'm open to it being laminated honestly. At the very least it was done well and isn't some tourist piece. Hopefully will get some clarity soon.
I find these actually quite interesting, and like the khyber knifes with militarized hilts they are legit and there are quite a few examples still around. Here are two from Artzi, one with a more simple wootz pattern, perhaps local, but the other one with a really nice older Persian blade.
Attached Images

GePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2024, 07:44 PM   #11
10thRoyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GePi View Post
I find these actually quite interesting, and like the khyber knifes with militarized hilts they are legit and there are quite a few examples still around. Here are two from Artzi, one with a more simple wootz pattern, perhaps local, but the other one with a really nice older Persian blade.
Those are excellent examples! The second has an almost identical style grip to my own. I guess I need to do a more thorough search of examples.

I managed a marginally better etching with the Ferric Chloride. It does look more like wootz towards the edge now but gets less so towards the spine. Almost like it was heat treated composed of multiple steels.
Attached Images

Old 12th June 2024, 08:21 PM   #12
mariusgmioc

Yes, it appears to be Persian wootz but the etching is very poor.
You need to polish the blade to grit 2000 or even 2500 to be able to better reveal the pattern.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21732
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2024, 09:25 PM   #13
Sakalord364

Quote:
Originally Posted by GePi View Post
10thRoyal it’s interesting the hilt on your example appears irregularly made, perhaps the smith was a novice or it’s just a result of wear and tear.

An example in original condition looks quite nice actually.

These sword hilts were imitations of Afghan army pattern hilts, and were handmade by local smiths and sold to officers who wanted a fancy private purchase sword instead of their issued sword. That why I think the quality of the hilt is variable, since each smith made them by hand and one smith might be more skilled than the other.

The army issue swords these were inspired by were made in the military factory with modern European machinery, which is why they were quite uniform quality wise
Attached Images

Sakalord364 is offline   Reply With Quote