Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2014, 02:27 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default I Would Like to Learn More About this Pamor blade

This is a Malay sundang with a quite unique blade. I was first tempted to put it on the other forum but I think I am more likely get expert feedback on the blade structure of this particular blade here.

The blade seems to be made of two very different forms of steel....one somewhat randomly linear, the other one very controlled and linear.... At first glance there is a temptation to think there's a scarf weld between the two, but at the point where the "swirling" pattern begins there is no overlap from one side of the blade to the other, so very likely this is no scarf weld.

I am hoping to learn more about what this structure is called, and how it is done. Is this two distinctly different pieces of steel welded together?

This blade seems much more in tune with a Indonesian keris than with a Moro kriss, at least regarding its make up or structure.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 04:09 PM   #2
rasdan

Hi CharlesS,

My guess is that the maker started with a flat piece of steel bar of a certain thickness and have to fold another shorter bar at one end of the blade to get adequate thickness to form the base of the blade. Cheers..

Last edited by rasdan; 11th January 2014 at 04:27 PM.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 11:28 PM   #3
kai

Hello Charles,

Quote:
This is a Malay sundang with a quite unique blade. I was first tempted to put it on the other forum but I think I am more likely get expert feedback on the blade structure of this particular blade here.
I'm glad you got this keris sundang and posted it here for further discussion!

What I also find remarkable is the subdued linear lamination along the blade; moreover, the curves of the blade apparently weren't forged but rather cut (stock removal) which is certainly unusual for laminated blades.

Quote:
The blade seems to be made of two very different forms of steel....one somewhat randomly linear, the other one very controlled and linear.... At first glance there is a temptation to think there's a scarf weld between the two, but at the point where the "swirling" pattern begins there is no overlap from one side of the blade to the other, so very likely this is no scarf weld.
I believe Rasdan is pretty spot on that the "sorsoran" area probably needed additional material for forging/scroll work and the bladesmith just added a bit metal on both sides.

Quote:
I am hoping to learn more about what this structure is called, and how it is done. Is this two distinctly different pieces of steel welded together?

This blade seems much more in tune with a Indonesian keris than with a Moro kriss, at least regarding its make up or structure.
I've seen metal similarly added to the base of the blade with Moro kris, too. The composition was closer to the pamor layers along the blade and, thus, of lesser contrast - I don't think the contrast was intentional with your sundang though.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote