Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Doug Strong

Default Armour Research Society Conference

Hello Everyone,
I'm Doug Strong and I have been making, teaching and studying Arms and Armor for over 20 years now. I am active in the Armour Research Society. I wanted to let you know about an exciting event coming up this month. We will be having our annual conference in Chicago. This year we are flying in some of the biggest names in the field of arms and armour from all over the world to be our speakers. These are the guys who wrote the book on the topic (I mean that literally.) Included in this illustrious group will be:
David Edge, Curator of Arms and Armour at the Wallace Collection, author of Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight
Dr. Alan Williams, The University of Redding, author of The Knight and The Blast Furnace
Pierre Terjanian, Curator of Arms and Armour at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Dr. Tobias Capwell, Curator of Arms and Armour for Glasgow Museums
Walter J. Karcheski, Chief Curator of Arms and Armor at the Frazier Arms Museum, Author of Medieval Armour From Rhodes

and many more.
This conference is in Chicago so it is in the largest city near the center of the Continental US. Next year's conference will be in Europe so this is the chance for the North Americans out there to meet and listen to these amazing gentlemen.

As an added bonus this year we will be having the honor of displaying swords form the famous collection of Ewart Oakeshott. The honor of this viewing is courtesy of the Oakeshott Institute Mr. Christopher Poor and Mr. Craig Johnson will be on hand to walk you through the collection and answer questions. Handling of select objects will be encouraged.

Please see our website for more details.
http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/conference.html

Last edited by Doug Strong; 1st October 2005 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Doug Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 07:27 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT SOUNDS LIKE A ONCE IN A LIFETIME GOOD DEAL TO ME, I AM NOT A COLLECTOR OF ARMOR AND CAN'T MAKE THE GATHERING ANYWAY, BUT WILL PASS THE WORD TO THE GUYS IN THIS AREA WHO ARE INTERESTED AND MAKE ARMOR AND BLADES. PERHAPS SEVERAL CAN GET TOGETHER A ROAD TRIP UP TO THE WINDY CITY. I HOPE TO VISIT THE OAKSHOT COLLECTION SOMEDAY IN FUTURE. THANKS FOR POSTING THE INFORMATION.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivkin

I think it's really interesting, but a non-member registration fee - 255.00$ is far too stiff. I would understand if I would need a tenure-track in history+, so I would be running around all the conferences I can get into, but as it is, I'm certainly _not_ going to attend.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Doug Strong

Just to explain the reason for the cost is to pay to fly this amazing group here from all over the world. You can save $50.00 by spending $50.00. If you were to join at the $50.00 rate the price drops to $155.00 and you would get our journal (retail $35.00) plus the online artilces, plus access to the forums and participation in all the other smaller events .

Doug
Old 3rd October 2005, 05:00 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very well stated Doug, and I would like to thank you for letting us know about this conference, which is in my opinion a most important event. I know that if circumstances permitted I would certainly be there as the extremely impressive list of speakers well warrants the cost of attending. I have heard of your group in the last newsletter from the Arms & Armour Society in London and did send for a copy of the journal, which I look forward to receiving for reference. Will this include any of the proceedings from the conference, and if not, will any excerpts be available?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Doug Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Very well stated Doug, and I would like to thank you for letting us know about this conference, which is in my opinion a most important event. I know that if circumstances permitted I would certainly be there as the extremely impressive list of speakers well warrants the cost of attending. I have heard of your group in the last newsletter from the Arms & Armour Society in London and did send for a copy of the journal, which I look forward to receiving for reference. Will this include any of the proceedings from the conference, and if not, will any excerpts be available?

Best regards,
Jim
The journal is at the printer now. It should be done very soon. The conference proceedings will come out after the conference. They will probably be published as a special monograph.