Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2023, 03:51 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Shipibo Kombo War Club?

I just acquired this war club and I think that it is a Shipibo Kombo Club. It is huge, 64" x 6.75"(even with a missing sliver on one edge), and it weighs 9 lbs.
It isn't as nice as some of the older ones that I've viewed, so it is probably of recent manufacture or sold as a tourist item. The club does have a surprisingly sharp edge and the wood appears to be a type of mahogany. An interesting feature is the cross on the end, which I have not found on other examples and I'm wondering if this could be the result of missionary influence.
I am guessing that the bow is from the same people as it appears to have the same geometric patterns on the wrapping.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 04:26 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Yes a more recent piece but still cool to have. The prominent cross in the gap { I read some where that is used to pin an opponent down at the neck } you could well be right might indicate a missionary collected piece?. A lot of US mission work in the mid 20th century in amazon regions. It is a strange collecting world. Older Fijian clubs are so common and expensive were as good oldish South American stuff is not easy to find. I would very much like one of these. I have missed out over a few decades once or twice. They all seem to be from the US and also being rather long adds to the shipping to the UK. Strangely at least 3 I think of my Amazon club came from AUS. I suppose missionaries and miners are the first in remote parts in the world for better or worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjuh_FW-0P0

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 25th July 2023 at 04:44 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 04:52 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks for your insights Tim. Are they usually this large? What I found interesting was the sharpened edges which would make it as effective as a slashing weapon as a smashing one.
Do you think that the bow comes from the same region?
Old 25th July 2023, 07:06 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

All the decoration is Shipibo right down to ceramics which is quite common. All the clubs I have seen like yours, or that appear to be older are quite long.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 07:07 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks