Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th November 2006, 07:31 PM   #1
katana

Default 1908/ 1912 Pattern British Army Cavalry Sword

Again I appologise....since this is not truly an ethnographic weapon....but could be of interest...
This Cavalry Sabre has a blade length of approx. 33'' (84 cms), chequered strap, greyshark/Ray skin handle with (possibly) silver wire, and a pierced "honeysuckle" hilt.
I think this is a 1912 version. The blade is embossed with George V cypher, a crown with 'sunrays', a coat of arms (which is obscured in places) and some foliage. It is proof marked and has the number 2887 stamped on the spine. No makers mark.
The scabbard is a 'Sam Brown' service issue in brown leather.

This sword is undoubtably a 'thrusting' weapon, light, nicely balanced and good arm/blade alignment in a forward strike.

.......and now the point of this thread....the hilt has been cut down.... effectively the 'knuckle bow' has been removed. This must have been done very early in its life, the 'patina' of the cut edge is consistant with the rest of the hilt. Was there a practical reason for this? I understand that the hilts sometimes 'snagged' on clothing.
The overall condition, scabbard etc suggests that this sword saw active service during WW!, and that this 'modification' was a possible 'improvement'. Alternatively the hilt may have been damaged during service (shrapnel? bullet?) or more likely ...accidental.

Any ideas or suggestions
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote