Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2004, 11:38 AM   #1
carlos

Default ANTIQUES SHOPS IN BALI

HI!!
IN MAY IŽLL GO TO PASS HOLIDAYS IN BALI. DO YOU KNOW WHERE COULD I BUY GOOD INDONESIAN EDGED WEAPONS ?
THANHS FOR THE INFORMATION.
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 01:55 PM   #2
ronpakis

Default bali "antique" shops??

i don't know where you will have to look in bali but i do know that you have to be really carefull in purchasing something there. it runs on tourists and they like the "traditional" weapons. only buy something you truly believe. antique examples are very very rare on bali.
ronpakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA

Carlos,

On the way from the airport you will be asked by the taxi driver what you are looking for in Bali. If you tell him that you are looking for good quality edged weapons, he will reply in a conspiratory tone that he knows a man, an exiled aristocrat, who has a Royal Pusaka of great value and that poor man has fallen on hard times. You are very lucky that you chose to ride in his cab. He can take you there . . . .

I think that you get the picture. If you are looking for quality edged weapons, buy from a reputable dealer. I can recommend a few.

But while you are in Bali, buy a cheap edged weapon if it has a great story. Not an expensive one, the story won't be worth it. Don't get sucked in. These people are adept at selling "heirlooms."

I would suggest that you see all the tourist sights, particularly the "Barong and Rangda" dance, or street play.
Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2004, 04:16 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking SHOPS IN BALI

THERE ARE 3 SHOPS IN THE KUTA AREA ALL THREE ARE OWNED BY THE SAME FAMILY AND THEY HAVE A WIDE VARIETY OF INTERESTING THINGS. THEY ARE SJAMSUDDIN ART SHOP , LEGIAN KELOD ST. 354 KUTA ,BALI, CHULDIA ART ,TUNJUNG MEKAR ,ST. 160, THE THIRD ONE IS SULAWESI ART, PADMA UTARA ST. 91 LEGIAN, KUTA BALI. THESE WERE IN TOWN IN WALKING DISTANCE FROM MY HOTEL (MATAHARI BUNGALOW WHICH I CAN RECOMEND)
THERE IS A INTERESTING KERIS SHOP OUT IN ANOTHER TOWN THE OLD MAN CARVES SCABBARDS AND HANDLES AND DOES GOOD WORK HE ALSO HAS A LOT OF KERIS ON HAND TO SELL OR CAN DO CUSTOM WORK. HIS SON HAS A NICE COLLECTION OF KERIS WHICH IS WORTH SEEING ALSO. PUSTAKA JATI. BR. JELEKA, BATUAN, SUKAWTI, GIANYAR, BALI INDONESIA. THERE IS A SHOP ON THE WAY TO THE ABOVE SHOP BUT IT WASN'T AS INTERESTING AS THE OTHERS BUT DID HAVE SOME GAUDY EXAMPLES OF KERIS SOME EVEN HAD PURE SILVER BLADES ALONG WITH JEWLS AND GOLD DECORATION IT IS "KERIS ART SHOP , CELUK SUKAWATI GIANYAR BALI.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT THE NUMBER OF RECENTLY MADE THINGS OFTEN SOLD AS GENUINE SO BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AND FEEL IS A FAIR PRICE. THERE ARE SOME VERY ATTRACTIVE KNIVES BEING MADE IN LOMBOK ALSO AND THE PRICES WOULD BE BETTER THERE. IF YOU SCUBA DIVE ACHMED IS A GOOD PLACE AND IS OUT AWAY FROM THE BIG CITY AND IS A NICE DRIVE OVER THERE. JUST SEND ME A PLANE TICKET AND I WILL GO ALONG AND BE YOUR GUIDE HAVE FUN AND GET SOME GOODIES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote