Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2009, 01:37 PM   #1
cannonmn

Default Solo kraton kris inscription

I've been told the Kris pictured is a kraton kris from Solo, that would have been carried by a palace guard. I would like to have the inscription translated. Also what if any is the significance of the wreath around the inscription? Is there anything else you can tell me about it? I bought it in Jakarta 38 years ago. I know the handle is on backwards. Thanks!

cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry, i can't help you with a translation, but someone else probably can. I think it is doubtful that this was a kraton keris. It is also obvious from your pictures that the pendok with the inscription does not fit this sheath and is not original to it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
cannonmn

Thanks. I thought the difference in fit between metal and wood was shrinkage over the years, but you've seen a lot more of them than I have, so I have to go with your info.
Old 28th January 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonmn
Thanks. I thought the difference in fit between metal and wood was shrinkage over the years, but you've seen a lot more of them than I have, so I have to go with your info.
That would be an awful lot of shrinkage, i would think.
Keris are often sold to tourists in Jawa with the story that they were once used in the palace. Best to buy the keris, not the story. It's still an old and authentic keris, i just doubt it has the history that the seller laid claims to.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 04:53 PM   #5
cannonmn

Thanks, I'd like to know any details regarding what it actually is. I didn't know anything about it when I paid the equivalent of $10. in the antique shop in Jakarta, nor did the seller have anything to say. The info I mentioned above came from an American (former NY) antiques dealer/collector who lives in Bali. He posted on this board over a year ago regarding his view of Keris vs. Filipino edged weapons, but only for one or two postings. He means well; can be a bit opinionated at times.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:02 AM   #6
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonmn
Thanks, I'd like to know any details regarding what it actually is. I didn't know anything about it when I paid the equivalent of $10. in the antique shop in Jakarta, nor did the seller have anything to say. The info I mentioned above came from an American (former NY) antiques dealer/collector who lives in Bali. He posted on this board over a year ago regarding his view of Keris vs. Filipino edged weapons, but only for one or two postings. He means well; can be a bit opinionated at times.

the inscription says : 1827
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote