Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2022, 10:11 AM   #1
milandro

Default What do you think , in general,about Naga krises? And these?

I’ve bought a job lot of krises with the idea of keeping some but perhaps not all (but who knows what I’ll do!).

There were two with a Naga blade , one which is iron but brass plated ( I don’t think it is gold ) and the other one similar to the merak-naga that I had on another kris which I talked about and then sold to a friend.

the second example has a special Sarong and Hilt, the brass example needs some parts or part adapting and a bit of work to reattach and shape the warangka (ill fitting)

Now I was wandering what the opinion on this type of blade would be. It is certainly elaborate and probably “ modern” but , my question is, how do you, esteemed connoisseurs feel about them? Is the intricate carving competely done by machine? Is this done by a Pantograph milling machine? Te plating of the brass one seems to be VERY well made (it is magnetic!).

Sorry about the pics, I usually do this with a camera but not this time.

(Moderator Edit: The brass covered keris was removed because it is an active auction.)
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 23rd February 2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 03:44 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

These both look to be modern reproductions of Nogososro keris, made in Madura.
These were created on varying levels of quality. It is difficult to tell from your photos (as you note, they are not the best), but it looks like the one without the brass is probably the better crafted of the two.
The "special" sarong on the second one is contemporary take on the Maduran Ladrang (formal) form.
I don't really know much about what tools are used for the carving of these blades. Alan might be able to say. As a collector of keris i don't particularly find these very appealing in general, though i have seen some modern examples that have been very well crafted.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:05 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

This thread show the tools used by Empu Suparman, Surakarta, prior to 1995:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6905

see page 2

all of the keris that Empu Suparman made were made with these tools.

I have made about half a dozen keris, and I used similar hand tools.

However, the makers in Solo who came from the ASKI school did use electric tools, principally angle grinders, and then later on they used dremels, dentists drills and die cutting grinders.

The man in Jogja ( I cannot mention his name) who made reproductions of genuine older classifications of keris from immediately after WWII through to about year 2000 used all hand tools, similar to those used by Empu Suparman and myself.

I believe Empu Djeno Harumbrojo used hand tools, not electric tools, but again, I never saw him working.

I do not know what tools were/are used by the Madura makers, whether in Sumenep, Aeng Tong-tong or in East Jawa on the mainland, I have never seen these makers actually working.

An afterthought:-

I just read through this entire referenced thread, actually it is worth reading through, there is one hell of a lot of good info in it.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 22nd February 2022 at 11:23 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:00 AM   #4
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
I’ve bought a job lot of krises with the idea of keeping some but perhaps not all (but who knows what I’ll do!).

There were two with a Naga blade , one which is iron but brass plated ( I don’t think it is gold ) and the other one similar to the merak-naga that I had on another kris which I talked about and then sold to a friend.

the second example has a special Sarong and Hilt, the brass example needs some parts or part adapting and a bit of work to reattach and shape the warangka (ill fitting)

Now I was wandering what the opinion on this type of blade would be. It is certainly elaborate and probably “ modern” but , my question is, how do you, esteemed connoisseurs feel about them? Is the intricate carving competely done by machine? Is this done by a Pantograph milling machine? Te plating of the brass one seems to be VERY well made (it is magnetic!).

Sorry about the pics, I usually do this with a camera but not this time.
Hi, the craftsmen nowadays using machine tools to make keris. They do the forging manually and uses machine tools to complete the finishing. If there is motif and carving, they use machine hand tool to do the work. The fine craving is done using hand with a hand-made chisel and hammer.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2022, 03:50 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

It has been brought to my attention that at least one of the keris in this thread is currenting up for auction on Marketplaats.
This is strictly forbidden by forum rules and i am closing this thread for the time being.
David is offline   Reply With Quote