Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th July 2016, 12:31 AM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default The Arab Shalfa (spear) An Interesting Example

Hey all,

This is an example of a rather interesting variation of the Arab spear. Recently a photo was published (included in post) of an Arab warrior with a spear equipped with a Caucasian Qama blade. I am very fortunate to come across an example currently in the possession of a friend. Unlike examples I come across, this one does not have script on the shaft and appears workman like. Some shalfas are even gold inlaid... sadly not many are available for me to examine, and those that exist are hidden with the lame excuse of belonging to controversial characters. Boring.

Although I only recently included Arabian spears into my research, it turned out to be quite fun and awfully mythical in some cases. There are plenty of types, some which I think are older, far older than many Arabian swords currently in my possession and in other's collection.

Enjoy the photos :-)
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 10:33 AM   #2
estcrh

Good find, an excellent example.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 12:33 PM   #3
David R

Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 10:02 PM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey all,

This is an example of a rather interesting variation of the Arab spear.
Are these particular type of spears (Caucasian Qama blade) Bedouin or was their use more wide spread?

Last edited by estcrh; 5th July 2016 at 04:11 AM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 10:56 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

[QUOTE=estcrh]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey all,

This is an example of a rather interesting variation of the Arab spear. /QUOTE]Are these particular type of spears (Caucasian Qama blade) Bedouin or was their use more wide spread?
I don't think so, there is nothing to define it as different. The types I mentioned are VERY different, including armour piercing spearheads and multi blade tips etc.

This one has the construction of the average shalfa, just using a qama blade.
Old 5th July 2016, 04:51 AM   #6
ariel

After their defeat at the hands of Russian Army, many Daghestanis emigrated to Turkey. They were soon joined by the exiled Circassians.

The Ottomans resettled them in Bulgaria, Damascus vilayet ( Amman was practically established and governed by the Shapsugh tribe, and there are Circassian villages in Israel) and in Aravia proper. Shamil himself spent years in detention in Russia, but eventually they let him go. He made Hajj and died and was buried in Meccah.
This is one potential source of kindjal blades in Aravia.

Another is the Circassian Mamluks, who essentially ruled Sudan.

Yet another is the export of Caucasian shashka and kindjal blades from Amuzgi to Aravia proper at the end of 19th century.

Last, but not least, are Turkish and Persian armorers who produced tons of kindjal blades for their internal market and, of course, for export to their neighbors.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 11:35 AM   #7
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
After their defeat at the hands of Russian Army, many Daghestanis emigrated to Turkey. They were soon joined by the exiled Circassians.

The Ottomans resettled them in Bulgaria, Damascus vilayet ( Amman was practically established and governed by the Shapsugh tribe, and there are Circassian villages in Israel) and in Aravia proper. Shamil himself spent years in detention in Russia, but eventually they let him go. He made Hajj and died and was buried in Meccah.
This is one potential source of kindjal blades in Aravia.

Another is the Circassian Mamluks, who essentially ruled Sudan.

Yet another is the export of Caucasian shashka and kindjal blades from Amuzgi to Aravia proper at the end of 19th century.

Last, but not least, are Turkish and Persian armorers who produced tons of kindjal blades for their internal market and, of course, for export to their neighbors.
Was awaiting your contribution. I tend to lean towards the trade possibility. As this was found in a region that had very little (if any) Daghestani or Circassian presence.

What makes me wonder is, why do Arabian spears look near identical in all the regions, unlike the swords and khanjars? I had an interesting discussion with a Saudi collector who insisted that the Nejdi spears were the only spears to have inlay.. Is it true? Cant be certain.. As ones found in Yemen and Oman have the exact patterns but no inlay.

Same for this one, its found in the south but the picture of the warrior is northern.. Yet both items are very similar with minor differences.

Was it made in a certain area and sold around? Blades came from everywhere so those do not count. The details is in the sockets are the key to understanding where those originated. Sadly non of the ones with script are readable.. And sometimes it seems Arabian and sometimes it looks something like Bikaner marks.