Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th May 2012, 04:14 PM   #1
AkaaliSingh

Default Mold on a Indo Persian Dhal ( Shield )

Hey this is my second post on the forum , i love reading here about indo persian arms and Armour its a wealth of knowledge . anyway i have a small problem i got given a Rihno hide dhal ( shield ) and it did have a smelly dour about it , a very strong 1! after many weeks of cleaning and drying out the dour did drastically cut down. i felt like cleaning the shield again and sanded abit of the inside as it had funky small brown spots.... after sanding a layer i found a small match of mold. its by about 4 inche sby 4inches... a deep dark green colour. i don't know what to do , its a beautiful shield ! i wouldn't want to sell or get rid of it. i have tried sanding or scraping of the mold thinking its a small layer maybe or just surface mold. any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!
AkaaliSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Pictures would be helpful .
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Ferguson

I use a product called Leather Therapy that says it inhibits mold. www.leathertherapy.com

Don't know if you want to put the oil on rhino hide. Might soften it too much. But they have other products for cleaning leather saddles, and such. Maybe an email to them.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

A LITTLE CLOROX BLEACH WILL KILL MOLD AND LIGHTEN THE STAINED AREA. NOT HAVING THE ITEM IN HAND I CAN'T TELL IF IT WOULD BE A GOOD THING TO DO OR NOT. PERHAPS A BIT OF CLOROX ON A Q-TIP APPLIED TO THE BACK IN A SMALL SPOT TO SEE WHAT THE EFFECT IS ON THE LEATHER.IF THE AREA IS SMALL AND NOT TOO OBVIOUS PERHAPS YOU CAN GIVE IT A TRY.
YOU CAN TEST THE RECOMENDED OIL ON A SMALL SPOT ON THE BACK TOO AND IF ALL WORKS OUT USE IT AFTER THE BLEACH DRYS TO RESTORE OIL AND PRESERVE THE AREA.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
sabertasche

Chiming in after a long absence, rubbing alcohol will kill the mold and evaporate.

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote