Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Yannis

Default Interesting Yataghan

I got it few months ago and I was always wanted to post few photos here. It is 53cm long total. Scabbard has its original leather, lightly worn in some places. Chased silver locket and chape. On the tip there is a monsters head. Horn hilt with small ears. Silver bolster nicely engraved.

The most interesting part is the blade. The two lower thirds from back to edge have a very clear damascus and the upper third is plain. This goes from hilt to tip so it must be made in purpose.

Please your comments about the kind of horn that is used in hilt (giraffe?) and the Damascus pattern.

Taking pictures I noticed the dirt in the bolster. It was left from previous cleaning. It is OK now , don’t worry.
Attached Images

Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
RSWORD

In regards to the blade, you have 3 rows of twist core damascus with a spine, forged separately, of probably lamellar steel that is forge welded to the rows of twist core. This is not an uncommon thing in yataghan blades featuring twist core damascus.

The handle could be rhino horn because it can take on this coloration. One way to test for rhino horn is to moisten your hands and grip it. If it feels a little sticky, it is most likely rhino horn.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 08:15 PM   #3
TVV

What a magnificent yataghan, Yannis, thanks for sharing it with us. Can you provide a close-up of the maker's mark?
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Yannis

TVV
I will try, but it is not something special. It has a only a symbol like half circle inside the "hole".

Rsword
Isn't strange that it is not all damascus? Why they made the spine with plain steel?
When I first saw it i thought also for rhino hilt. But I have 4 rhino hilts and this is not similar. The others are soft in the touch and the fibrous construction is obvious. Here we have something more solid, cold and polished. If it is rhino it was treated quite different from the others.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote