View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Stan S. I imagine that losing ones shield could have disastrous results since not only was the defence not available but the balance of the swordsman dramatically altered. If no buckler is available the arab technique employed especially in the UAE was to use a sandal to deflect incoming strikes. I suspect more fighters lost their sword than their shield..but in either case .. not good.

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
A sandal, eh? How interesting! Somehow I get this mental image of Jackie Chan using all these ordinary objects (like shoes) in a fight scene in one of his movies But seriously, this makes perfect sense, and is not unlike European manuscripts showing fencers from the Renaissance times using a cape wrapped around a left hand to deflect opponent’s blows.

Would it be safe to assume that when not on the battlefield, a man carried a sword without a shield (such as during the peace times in an urban setting), and the contingency plan was to use an article of clothing in combination with a sword should he come under attack?
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote