View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 07:27 PM   #62
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Kronckew! That adds some most interesting perspective in these descriptions used in these narratives.

Addendum to my notes in my previous post on the article by North (1975).
In my question wondering, if this Venetian sword was from the late 15th century, and the next appearances of these hilts don't turn up until early 17th, where were these in the 16th century?

I think I found the answer. In "Swords and Hilt Weapons" (ed. M. Coe, 1989), Anthony North wrote the chapter "Seventeenth Century Europe" (pp.72-83). On age 77, this exact sword from his 1975 article (a Royal Armouries holding) is captioned 'Venetian hanger, c 1620'.
Perhaps it was an unfortunate misspeak as I know I often do the same thing However, this clears up a very important point toward the ancestry and vintage of this familiar guard system.

In the same chapter, it is noted that loosely similar guards were well known on a number of European hangers in the first half of the century. It is also noted that in addition to the English paintings showing 'nimcha' style hilts of the 'Moroccan' form, another English painting of the period shows Col .Alexander Popham of Littlecote, Wiltshire, wearing a distinctly recognized 'kastane' with the serandipaya and Sinhalese lion clearly seen.

This would place our terminus ante quem right in the mid to latter 16TH
century for the hilt form with these distinctive quillons and knuckleguard.
It does not help us determine whether Ceylon was source for the style, or Italy, but I would personally bet on Italy, as they were the innovators in the developing schools of fence. They also set the pace for weapons style and innovation in Europe in these times.
The kastane was a status oriented dress sword which likely evolved in the period noted as a result of European trade contact.
However it should be noted that Sinhalese craftsmen did often craft carved hilts on many European hangers and swords for colonial clients. It is often suggested that the lion heads of the kastane may have popularized the placing of busts of human heads and the use of animal heads on sword hilts.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote