View Single Post
Old 19th January 2006, 06:41 AM   #135
Federico

Thanks for the links. Small world, a good portion of my family on my mother's side is Kapampangan as well. I guess I should be surprised, there are alot of Kapampangans as well.

I noticed the links are still siding with the older wave theory of settlement in PI (eg. native groups first displaced by Indonesians pushing the natives deeper into the interior and then finally displaced by Malays) vs the land bridge theory UP has been pushing in recent years (native groups originally came across a land bridge during the ice age, and it was these peoples who influenced by regional cultures). I gotta admit Ive always preferred the wave theory, as at least to me it explained the commonalities between so many PI dialects and Malay dialects. I know that linguists only attribute so much similarity to regional cultural diffusion when comparing common root words, but since Im not a trained linguist Im not sure how the conventions work for establishing commonality between groups (Ruel you out there). Anyways, its also amazing though how much education, even in early US occupied PI influenced many filipinos to their views of ancestry. I know my Lolo used to joke he was from Sumatra (he was a big history buff). Oh well, I know that the standard in academia is to prefer the most current work on a subject, but I dunno how I feel about the peer review that has been done on the issue of the land bridge, if politics hasnt taken precedence over academic stringency. Anyways, I did not say that there was no influence in Northern PI, but rather it was limited (not present in all areas such as deep mountains), I know others have theorized about the influence of Islamic settlements on Kapampangan culture. Being a devils advocate, I wonder how much of that influence could explain spill over. I suppose I may be drawing fine lines, between influence (eg. from the periphery in the form of traders and limited colonies) vs full blown inclusion in regional Empires. Oh well, just thinking out loud, so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabanTayo
Malay inluence in Pamapanga (Province north of Manila).

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~camiling/malay.html

Especially look at the comparison of the word Sundang and Kampilan.

A part of my family is Kapampangan and I remember them saying they are decendants of Malays.

Kapampangan word for sword = Palang

In the PI, L and R are interchangable.

Palang = Parang

Although you say Javanese culture didnt spread that far north, at least Malay culture did, and they had keris too.
I know theres more to research on my end, but thats all for now.

I just found this:

"The ancestors of the Kampampangans came from the Madjapahit Empire at the Malang Region in Central Java. They came with the second wave of Malayan migration - the last of the three prehistoric migrations that took place in the Philippines between 300 to 200 B.C.. These immigrants, led by the Prince Balagtas, settled along the costal areas of Luzon. These areas became the nucleus of the so-called Pampanga Empire, established and consolidated from 1335 to 1400 by Prince Balagtas, the first Pampango sovereign. This empire included all areas in Luzon from Manila up to Cagayan in the north. The coming of the Spaniards led to the eventual disintegration and diminution (decrease) of his empire. "

http://www.geocities.com/pilipinoinj...ilippines.html
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote