View Single Post
Old 19th January 2006, 12:56 AM   #133
Federico

Smile

Oh my, this thread has sure branched from the meaning of (to borrow a keris term) the Rhon Dha on a Moro kris (not keris) to the Indian influences and as is asserted by one forumite, Indian origin of the keris. Ok, so Im jumping back to talking about PI, so mainly kris.

At least for me, I am still partial to the idea that the keris (which later evolves into the kris) came to PI along with Islam (not necessarily the full blown conversion of native populations but rather the early probings of muslim missionaries and traders I feel would be sufficient to bring its presence into the consciousness of Filipinos). Now, while I know it is often asserted that the Javanese empires extended into PI, thus bringing a pre-islamic keris culture into the islands, in other texts Ive read (Im forgetting the names right now) Javanese influence fell short of the totality of PI (eg. some influence on the Southern islands but little to no presence in the North such as Luzon). Does anyone have a good, contemporary book or link that can illustrate the Javanese empires encompassing the Philippines? I know I was surprised when in a class, the text we were using (I believe published in 2004) cut the Javanese reach off before it hit PI. I know that there have been movements in PI Universities to de-emphasize regional influences on early PI history for political reasons, and so dont know if this occurence was a product of politics or is the most current research (while we are limited in researching weapons, at least in academia there is strong emphasis on staying with current research). So any points in the direction of a book that can illustrate the presence of the Javanese empire in PI would be appreciated.

Ok, now since I was talking about why I still am fond of the notion of the keris travelling into PI with Islam, I jumped off that topic, so Ill go back. How far into PI can we really find examples of keris or keris like objects? In Scott's book Barangay, he talks about Visayan and Southern Philippine weaponry, and notes that keris like weapons are found in both, but that the keris are better made in the South. I dont remember for sure if he mentions any presence in the North, but I seem to think that he did not (ok Im being lazy Im tired and dont feel like re-hitting the books at this moment before I get this thought out). So my question is, where can we find keris like weapons (either in text but pics would be awesome) in PI (eg. just the south and central PI or more widespread), and from what time period (I know there are Luzon kris made for the Katipunan but then the Katipunan dredged alot of their history/practices from all over which would not be applicable in a pre-Spanish PI)? At least to me, Scotts descriptions could still be in fitting with a Islamic introduction, as (depending on who you read) there is some merit to the fact that at least on Spanish arrival there were the beginnings of some Islamic inroads into Visayan regions. It would be interesting to compare where the kris form is found, and if there were ever Islamic colonies/missionaries/traders in that region at that time. Oh well...as usual Ive probably made no sense, I really gotta learn to check the forums when I am not super tired.

ps.

I am only talking about PI, and not the origins of keris in general.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote