View Single Post
Old 6th November 2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Steve,
You are most welcome, and I think you're spot on in the application of the dots probably going on in India. It has always seemed to me that dagger blades were the one edged weapon constant in Arabia, while sword blades gave way to imports. Naturally the profound settlement of Arabs in India would establish those artisans there as well.

The trimurti configuration on Indian blades often appears on strategic locations on blades, such as at terminus of fullers, blade root and the like, so it would seem that the placement here is for specific purpose. As always the application of marks, symbols and certain motif is often only temporally known by the individual making them or requesting them placed on the weapon. I would imagine in this location on your janbiyya, these are placed talismanically to prevent effects from the negative forces of the iron in the blade or if used, from the victim. Perhaps this might explain the 'poison' in the blade story.

I think this interesting janbiyya is an excellent example of how even the simplest appearing weapon can be an entirely fascinating example of ethnographica full of exciting tales. Very nice!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote